Author Topic: First crack at smoked chuck - good, but room for improvement.  (Read 1147 times)

SamRothstein

I tried my hand at 3lb chuck roast yesterday and it came out ok. Very tender and moist, but lacked smoke flavor. It went in at 3am at 225 and smoked uncovered until it hit 160, which was about 7am. Wrapped in foil and sent back in at 250 until reaching 203 around 10am. Wrapped in a towel in rested in a cooler until noon and sliced. The bark could have been better, and again the smoke was faint. I used about 6oz of cherry and apple, in a foil boat - had lumps of coal afterwards.

Smokin-It 3D | Weber Spirit 210

barelfly

Re: First crack at smoked chuck - good, but room for improvement.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
Give it a try without wrapping. Or, try butcher paper as your wrap if you still want to wrap. Are you wrapping when the bark is set to your liking, or wrapping at a specific temp? That may help a bit with the bark, but foil is going to soften the bark.

I’ve wrapped a few times, and prefer to just let whatever it is I’m cooking go without. Just my preference.

That said, your chuckie looks great!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »
6 oz should have made plenty of smoke flavor.
Did you start with cold meat and a cold smoker?  Meat takes on the most smoke flavor until it reaches 140 deg according to what I have read.  So I always start with less than room temp meat if I can.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SamRothstein

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
I’ll try the next without a wrap, or wrap later on. Haven’t got any paper yet, it’s on the list!

The smoker was outside, lows in the 30s/40s, and the meat was straight from the fridge to the smoker. This was my first time trying to foil boat method and previously I only ever had ash left over. Wasn’t sure if the lack of smoke was from the charcoal production or not. It’s only my fourth smoke, so I’m still learning.

Thanks for the responses!
Smokin-It 3D | Weber Spirit 210

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:37:01 PM »
I also use the foil boat method. It eliminates combustion which causes bitter meat. Apple and Cherry produce a mild smoke flavor. On the thicker cuts of meat I typically use hickory and oak, which impart a stronger smoke flavor. Good luck!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger