Author Topic: Smoked Pork Butt, Rubbed With Sweet Heat  (Read 2837 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Smoked Pork Butt, Rubbed With Sweet Heat
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
I picked up a very pretty 7.75 pork butt and did a simple pork injection, followed by a thorough massage with my Sweet Heat spice rub.  After another twelve hours in the fridge, I loaded it into a cold smoker with exactly 6.0 ounces of apple wood at 225 degrees.  I also used the Smokin-It accessory Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor filled 2/3 with room temperature apple juice.

Once it was in the smoker it sat untouched (no checking, no door opening, no spritzing, no foiling) for exactly 12 hours on an overnight smoke.  By 10:30 a.m. it hit 171 where it was removed from the smoker, wrapped and held in a cooler for 45 minutes.  I sliced a few test slices (this cook was for a sliced preparation rather than pulled) and half the butt was portioned for friends, most of the remainder was portioned for vacuum sealing and freezing, and the remainder for lunch and dinner tonight.

As a side note, the juice reservoir (positioned on a low rack very close to the smoker box) reduced by roughly half over those 12 hours; the final product was exceptionally moist despite a very heavy hand trimming the surface fat on the pork butt.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:11:28 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!