Author Topic: Brisket - post-smoke advice and help requested  (Read 1816 times)

CardsFan

Brisket - post-smoke advice and help requested
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:22:20 PM »
I smoked my first brisket on Saturday and although the end product was really good, the smoke didn't go as well as I had hoped. I'd really appreciate the assistance of the experienced people here.

Basic Facts
  • Brisket was a little over 11 lbs., USDA Choice
  • Smoker is a Smokin-it Model 1, which means I had to cut the brisket in half so it would fit
  • I followed the instructions from the Lazy-Q Book: I trimmed the fat cap to about 1/4" and then criss-cross scored it. I then smeared it all over with yellow mustard, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. I covered both halves with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge overnight
  • Although the Lazy-Q Book doesn't give a cook time, I read a bunch of topics here and saw people getting cook times from as little as 7 hours to as long as 12 hours
  • I placed the thicker half of the brisket on the highest rack (in the second position) on the theory that heat rises. I inserted my Weber iGrill probe into the center of the thicker half and threaded it out through the smoke vent. The thinner half of the brisket I put on a rack two levels down.
  • I put a chunk of wood in the smoke box, closed the door, and set the temp to 235
The Smoke Itself
  • Everything went fine, at first. After about 4 hours, the temp was around 140.
  • After about 6 hours, the temp was around 160
  • After about 8 hours, I started getting nervous as it was only around 170. At this point, I decided I needed to wrap the brisket halves in foil (the Texas Crutch). I wrapped them as quickly as possible (I felt terrible about opening the door) in heavy-duty aluminum foil and then closed everything back up.
  • This is when the frustration set in (we had to cook a frozen pizza at this point!)  :-\
  • After 15 hours, the temp was still only 183. I had to call it at that point. I pulled both foil-wrapped halves out and put them in the fridge.
The Aftermath
  • Because the temp never hit 190, I was worried about the done-ness.
  • My original plan was to reheat the leftover brisket (it's just my wife and I, so there's a lot of leftover brisket) in a sous vide based on advice I had received on reheating. As the brisket had never hit 190, I decided I would sous vide them to temp.
  • I pulled them out of the fridge and opened the foil. They looked amazing! I was very pleased with the smoke. I cooked each of them (separately) in the sous vide for 2 hours at 190. Each one got a rest in foil/towels/cooler for 1 hour.
  • I sliced it for serving. Despite all of the ordeal above, it was really good. Yes, it was a little dryer and denser than I had hoped but at least I didn't end up with an inedible (and expensive) piece of meat. I'd give it a B+. My wife loved it, so there's that!
Request for Assistance
Sorry for such a long post but I wanted you to know all the facts. What went wrong do you think? Why could it never get to 190 after 15 hours, even foil-wrapped? I'm open to any and all advice. Thank you!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brisket - post-smoke advice and help requested
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »
Not sure what happened. Two thoughts
1. Your temp gage is not accurate
2. Your temp gage is accurate but was sitting in fat and when it rendered out it was replaced with an empty spot.
3. You were experiencing the stall, a long one.  Starts around 170 and it is a slow climb out .

Just a swag mind you.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 06:31:51 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

CardsFan

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks, Sarge. Do you have any experience with the Weber iGrill and its accuracy? In general, I've always had good luck with Weber products and when I use it for chicken, I set it for 165 and it seems to come out perfect every time. Interesting thought about the fat - that's always a possibility.

I also thought it might have been a bad stall, but shouldn't the foil have helped? Was using heavy-duty foil a mistake? Is it too insulating, maybe?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:38:41 PM »
I don't have any experience with the Weber iGrill.  When I mentioned its accuracy, I should have asked at what altitude you are at and have you calibrated (made a mental adjustment) for the temp of boiling water.  See the link below.  It is my understanding that foiling or butcher wrap  slows evaporation which speeds up the stall.  I don't know about that and I only wrap when the meat hits the target temp and then into a cooler. I had a butt or two that just never got to the temp I wanted.  Until I use a digital probe and checked a couple of other areas close to where the smoker probe was inserted.  I had indeed hit the temp and exceeded on one of them.  Thus my comment about a fat pocket.  Check the link below with your location altitude and put your probe in boiling water to see it it matches.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/boiling-points-of-water-1328760
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

CardsFan

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
I bet it's the altitude! We live in Mexico in the desert highlands, at roughly 6,500 feet. Thank you!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
So, if your iGrill registers 199.5 degrees, in boiling water, then it is good. If a few degrees lower, say5, you need to add 5 degree to whatever the iGrill reads when you are cooking.  Theoretically speaking, of course.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Smokin Jon

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:25:56 PM »
Strange indeed.  Have you used the WeberIGrill on any prior cooks to compare? 

Jon

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 10:12:18 PM »
15 hours really is what I would expect for about a 12lb brisket. And cooking at 235*, you are going to get a slower cook. Brisket isn’t as bad as pork butt though. But, sometimes you just get a cut that takes a bit longer.

That said, if you are wrapping in foil, you can always move the brisket to the oven and finish it at a higher temp, upwards of 325 even. And, last - use the internal temp as a guide but go for probe tender and seeing if the brisket moves like jello. Those are two other guides to follow. But, with it only being at 183*, I wouldn’t even had started to check for probe tenderness.

But, hopefully you get the thermo calibrated to help. Maybe it was closer to 190 if it was off a bit??

Hope that helps! Also glad you were able to enjoy that brisket in the end!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Glock_21

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 01:34:39 PM »
I have a couple of the iGrill units.  They have been accurate for me. 
I have the 4 port iGrill units so I usually use multiple probes just in case i hit a pocket of fat or something.

I have had some briskets and butts go 16-18 hours.  Each one is a little different.

I sometimes pull brisket from the smoker around 190 and finish it in the oven.  Just depends on timing and circumstances.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

kona77

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 10:02:44 PM »
 Some good suggestions already. I have smoked a number of briskets and the wide range of cook times has really varied.
I always get full packers in the 12-16lb range and most finished in 12-15 hours (at 225). However I have had some take up to 18-22 hours.. Some folks on here have posted about higher temp cooks and my last two briskets were smoked at 265 and both finished in 7-8 hours.. They were just as good as all the ones I did at 225 and I will probably stick with the higher temp cooks just to make meal planning easier .   
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..