Author Topic: Wood Box and Flare Ups  (Read 1594 times)

gunner28

Wood Box and Flare Ups
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »
Happy New Year all.
I have a #2 and have had since fall 2013.  I don't do lots of smoking, but in 2020 I noticed issues starting with fare ups!
In the past, I have always wrapped the top lid of smoke box in foil and made foil 'boats' under my wood (chunks) without issue, but for the last 3 smokes this has not worked.  I have observed fairly large flare ups. 
Today, smoke was only about 30-40 minutes in, when flare happened.  I noticed small pieces of foil were blown out of smoker this time so I don't like that.  I'm hoping foil is not all over my ribs! I try to live by the no peek theory with my #2. 
I suspect my wood may have gotten too dry?  Other than replacing my wood blocks (cherry and hickory) which I still have a good supply of, do others have possible solutions that may help me out. 
Please and thanks.  Gerry (gunner28)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Wood Box and Flare Ups
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:33 AM »
Gary, you may have experienced the 'burp'.  That is the accumulation of gasses igniting with a boom. Not sure that is what happened but just a possibility. When my wood gets old and dry, I give a few chunks a short bath a day or so before I am going to smoke. 10 or so minutes in water, then set aside to dry, generally in a shaded spot. So far, so good.  Just a thought. And I hope your ribs are free of the shrapnel.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gunner28

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 11:44:30 AM »
Thanks old sarge.  Yes, a 'burp' is probably a better way of describing the event.   I'm definitely going to try the 10 minute bath technique!  LOL, hopefully limited shrapnel damage!  Gerry

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
I have a 2 that has been used extensively.  I dont use fancy wood. Locally procured pecan mostly, augmented by cheap bagged chips from any store. I do leave the chip screen in the firebox always. Short smokes chips & slivers. Long smokes chips & chunks. I dont weigh wood & use more than is commonly recommended. No ramp ups, presoaking, foil boats or any other of the methods frequently discussed. I believe the chip screen resolves the main flare up issue. After hundreds of smokes I have yet to have bitter food or a single complaint. Everyone always shows up for more.  Good luck & keep it simple.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Limey

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:13:37 PM »
Like Walt I always leave the chip screen in the firebox, use "big box store" wood and have had zero problems with burping. That said I live in a fairly humid climate so my wood is probably reasonably hydrated.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

OldeSmoker

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 09:57:47 PM »
I am using aluminum foil trays I made by cutting the bottom out of disposable foodservice half size steam table pans. I have used wood apple chunks from Lowe’s, hickory cubes that came with my smoker and maple, oak and cherry chunks from Smokinlicous. I have not experienced problems with any of them. I always get charcoal on short to medium smokes and some charcoal and ash on long smokes. Nice mellow smoke profile with no bitter taste. I start with a temperature setting of 150 and then go to 225. The smoke starts 15-20 minutes in.
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger