Author Topic: two chuck roasts in Model 2  (Read 1191 times)

BuckRimfire

two chuck roasts in Model 2
« on: November 09, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
I have two 2.5 # chuck roasts that I've dry rubbed (on Saturday) and want to smoke this afternoon.  The owner's manual says for a 3-4 # roast, go 2 to 3 hours at 215-225°.  Any adjustments based on smaller size of pieces but greater total weight?  I like stuff a bit on the rare side (actually, I like beef virtually raw but my spousal critter is not so bloodthirsty), so I was thinking 2 hours at 225° then open it up to stick in a thermometer to check (don't have a remote probe yet).

Thoughts?

barelfly

Re: two chuck roasts in Model 2
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
I have not smoked a chuck roast this way, so I cant actually answer that. But, I will say your plan sounds great. The two pieces will cook as two pieces, unless you have them tied together really well, then they may take a little longer based on the total thickness. But, separately they will cook individually.

The chuck roast may not be very tender due to the type of cut it is. Perhaps it will be fine and others will comment. When I’ve served chuck roast as a roast, I’ve done Sous Vide at a temp of 131F for 30-48 hours, then chilled, then brought to The 131F temp on the Weber or Smokin-it. This provided great rib roast style tenderness.

But, I still think your plan will help with what you are after. Enjoy!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear