Author Topic: First Pork Butt  (Read 1947 times)

OldeSmoker

First Pork Butt
« on: October 22, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
I smoked my first Pork Butt yesterday in my 3DW. I talked my self out of starting it late the night before. You know the conversation, "it's only seven pounds that will easily be ready in 10 hours." Ok, lesson learned. I brined it in DivotMakers brine for 24 hours which was a very good decision. I took it out yesterday morning about an hour before the smoke, rinsed it and liberally applied my rub. Then I let it rest for about an hour on the counter to let the temp rise. I used a 3 ounce chunk of hickory and a 2.5 ounce chunk of apple with a few cherry chips mixed in. The wood was placed in a foil tray and placed in the front of the smoker box. Previously I had problems with bitter smoke taste and took the advice of some of the fine members of this forum to use a barrier between the wood and the bottom of the smoker box. It worked great. I got it in the smoker at 8:30 am, started at 150 and after about 45 minutes ramped up to 225, also, on the advice of forum members. After about seven hours the butt was in the stall at 167 degrees. The stall is very real! After about an hour the IT fluctuated between 167 and 165 and back to 167. At this point I realized there was no way I was going to hit 192 degrees before 7 pm. So I did what I know not to do and increased the smoker temp to 275. After another hour the IT was still only 176 degrees. So I said what the heck and increased the smoker temp to 300 degrees. At 6:50 PM the IT hit 192 degrees. After shutting off the smoker and pulling the Pork Butt out I had a pork butt that  looked moist and had a great looking bark. I wanted to tear right into it but managed enough self control to let it rest for 20 minutes. After cutting a thick piece off of the end and pulling it apart my wife got the first bite. She is very picky so i thought if she likes it, its going to be good. Well, she did and even said it was the best thing she has had since we got the smoker 2 months ago. We have had some really good Spare Ribs and Brisket so I was pleased she liked it so well. I dove in and had some of the bark first, which tasted great and had absolutely no bitter taste. The meat was super tender, juicy and flavorful all the way through. (thanks to the brine) The moral of this smoking story is that the next smoke I do, of a larger cut i.e. Pork Butt, Brisket etc. to allow several more hours. But in a pinch, cranking the temperature up the last couple of hours to hit the correct IT seemed to do it no harm. Plus, thanks to the curing salt in the brine the Butt had a nice faux smoke ring. (see pics below) Thanks for all the great advice I have received on this forum!
Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

smokeasaurus

Re: First Pork Butt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
looks like a real successful cook. 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 12:40:01 PM »
I started my first butt in the morning too. Now I start at 9-10pm.
The pork looks good. Good job.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

OldeSmoker

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 02:09:44 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. Smokeasaurus, I am intrigued by the Santa Maria. I’ve seen it done on the cooking shows. Does it impart a different flavor profile than I could get from my 3DW or wood fired grill?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:42:19 AM by OldeSmoker »
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »
Lonzinomaker, I will definitely start the smoke the night before. I have a late bedtime, so I think 1 to 2 AM will work much better. It seems much better to have the cushion than to stress over the last couple of hours.
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »
Well done--looks great!   I agree on starting earlier for the smoke--nothing worse than stressing over the stall with no clear indication of when it will end!   The other nice thing about starting earlier is you can wrap the butt and let it rest for several hours if need be to let the juices redistribute.   I use the double towel method in a cooler for the rest period and it always comes out hot.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TexasSMK

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
 Looks great! Butts are my favorite smoke.
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

LuvMyQ

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 09:42:02 AM »
Next time, try smoking at 250 to 275 after the ramp up.  I have done butts in 7 hours before and did not notice a taste/texture difference.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement