Author Topic: Bella Smoke Generator  (Read 3073 times)

SantaBarbara

Bella Smoke Generator
« on: August 27, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I installed a bella smoke generator on my #2 and the problem I'm having is excess heat.  Even without the smoker being turned on, my chamber will get up to 160 degrees.  I purchased it to cold smoke cheese, but I'm hesitant.   I'm currently smoking salmon and the chamber temp is 160 degrees without the heating element on.  Can someone advise me what I'm doing wrong.   I'm using weber pellets in the bella, should I use a different brand.
Keep it Smoking
Smokin-it #2
Traeger Smoker
Weber Propane
Santa Maria Grill

barelfly

Re: Bella Smoke Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »
Contact Steve, the owner - that’s a huge difference from the ~80F in the videos. Are the pellets getting more air then they need? Or the air flow into the box? If I remember how it works correctly?

There are a few on here who use the Bella, hopefully they will chime in with feedback.

Welcome to the board as well.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
I get to about 120-140 with my Bella going at less than 1/2 speed on air pump.  Which is still too hot for cheese.  I have planned on moving Bella off door and using 2.65-3 feet of copper pipe to act as a radiator to cool smoke before plumbing back into door/smoker. But haven't gotten around to trying it yet.  Haven't tried a cold plate and frozen pop bottles yet.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

SantaBarbara

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
Update to my prior issue.   I conducted a test with an empty chamber in my #2.  I changed the wood pellets to Traeger applewood, instead of the weber brand and ran the pump at the minimum (1/8th) on and here are my temps..
Outside temp was 75 degrees.  When first lit at 11:45, internal temp was 78; at 12:00 temp was 88; at 12:15 temp was 97; at 12:30 temp was 105 and at 12:45 temp was 108.  I took the thermometer and placed it front of the smoke outlet and the temp was 131 degrees.   The video on the web site is very misleading and probably should be removed.  I would say, the bella smoker results are equal to the Big Daddy.  I've attached a picture of the smoke when temp was at 97 to show it was a moderate volume.   I did smoke some cheese using a 3" deep tray of ice and the temp maxed out at 90.   My conclusion is that the bella smoke generator is simply what it is, a "smoke generator", not a "cold smoker" and you must use a tray of ice to chill the smoker to get cold smoke.
Keep it Smoking
Smokin-it #2
Traeger Smoker
Weber Propane
Santa Maria Grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 06:30:29 AM »
I hope you guys share this information with Steve. In your emails let him know you will be sharing his comments with the forum. I am sure I am not the only one concerned about this. It is a pretty sizable investment for less than ideal results. I wont be buying one for now.

I can keep those temps and make smoke with my #3 without spending any more money.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
I did let them know my findings.  And I bought mine knowing it wasn't going to be a cold smoke generator.  The Bella is an GREAT smoke generator, lights easily, stays lit, runs for a long time, will burn a mix of chips and pellets (at a cooler temp too).  The smoker is cooler with the Bella than with wood in the wood box, but is still too hot to do cheese in a smoker without a cold plate. Get the smoke out of the smoker so the smoke has a chance to cool, it does a good job on cheese.

One other thing I found is that 100% fruit wood pellets produce a better tasting smoke than a blended pellet smoker pellet does.
Dave
Spokane, WA

SantaBarbara

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 12:50:01 PM »
Update on my issue:  I smoked some cheese this morning and the Bella did a great job.  I started the smoke at 7:30 am.  Outside temp was 63 degrees.  I put a 3" deep pan of ice on the lower rack just above the smoke inlet so it would cool the smoke when entering the chamber. I've included a picture of my set up prior to removing the cheese.  By the time I actually lit the smoker at 7:30, the internal temp was 59 degrees.  I set the pump at 1/3 power and used Traeger apple wood pellets.  At 7:45 the internal temp was 64 degrees; at 8:00 it was 66 degrees (a pic is attached showing the smoke); at 8:15 it was 73; at 8:30 it was 77; at 8:45 it was 80 and at 9:00 it was 82 degrees.  I removed the cheese at this time and it looks great.   I'm pretty happy with the results.  The key is placing the tray of ice just above the smoke inlet to cool the smoke as it enters the chamber.   Also, I want to mention that when installing the bella, instead of using the 5 x 5 location mentioned in the directions, I used 4 x 4 to ensure the smoke inlet doesn't hit the burner box.
Keep it Smoking
Smokin-it #2
Traeger Smoker
Weber Propane
Santa Maria Grill

barelfly

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »
Glad to hear you got this working out for you! And to see both of you had success, makes me rethink getting one of these for the lower temp smokes like bacon and salmon!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

mickeyc99

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »
Newbie here......Can you put the Bella smoke through the exhaust vent instead of cutting a hole in the door?  Would this work or cause an issue with smoke flow?  Just a thought to avoid cutting a hole in the door.   Might be a dumb idea.

Appreciate the guidance.......

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 03:54:18 PM »
I have extended exhaust to use the predrilled hole on door in an effort to cool smoke down. I tried what you are proposing on a #3, but the smoke didn't seem to mix well. I was going to drill a hole in floor and put a plug in it when not using the Bella.  The Bella won't burn well in any other than the upright orientation.
So you could put smoke in the exhaust vent, but I think it does not have enough airflow with the vent occluded.
Dave
Spokane, WA

mickeyc99

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 08:29:02 PM »
I appreciate the help!!!

I have extended exhaust to use the predrilled hole on door in an effort to cool smoke down. I tried what you are proposing on a #3, but the smoke didn't seem to mix well. I was going to drill a hole in floor and put a plug in it when not using the Bella.  The Bella won't burn well in any other than the upright orientation.
So you could put smoke in the exhaust vent, but I think it does not have enough airflow with the vent occluded.