Author Topic: Reverse sear pork "steaks"  (Read 1313 times)

prudentsmoker

Reverse sear pork "steaks"
« on: July 15, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
If someone has posted this before I apologize. I had smoked a pork tenderloin to 145 Monday night for dinner and it turned out great. Last night I cut some of it up into "steaks" and threw it on the grill and again it turned out great and way cheaper than beef.
Brian from Wichita

PhilH

Re: Reverse sear pork "steaks"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
Sounds great, did you Brine or dry rub it?  And in what?  Sometimes I cook lean pork to even lower temps than that, cook it medium sometimes, but really only loin, or tenderloin.
Phillip   Ramsey MN

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 04:55:56 AM »
No brine, but used The Squeal Hog Rub. It was a Christmas gift. Had it again last night. The other nice thing about it is that you can cut the "steaks" as thick or thin as you like. This worked out well as the wife likes hers thinner than I.
Brian from Wichita

kona77

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:15:04 AM »

I agree that you can enjoy a pork loin for several more meals.. I always smoke full loins which are usually between 8-9lbs and always have plenty left.. Have done the quick sear method you mentioned or just heated leftovers and served with sandwiches or over mashed tators etc.. I even have some leftovers in my freezer for future use. Prices of beef steak are starting to come back down around here but agree that pork loin is still one of the best food/protein bargains available.. PS- I do always brine my loins and use a variety of rubs. 
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

prudentsmoker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:00:25 AM »
I will have to try brine. Do you just use kosher salt and water? Also, how long?

Thanks in advance.
Brian from Wichita

kona77

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:47:21 PM »

I use DM's Pork brine recipe that is listed on this site for my butts/shoulders and loins..

1 gallon water
1 1/8 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tblsp garlic powder
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tblsp cayenne
2 tsp black pepper
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..