Author Topic: Looking for a recipe for ground Elk Jerky  (Read 1440 times)

PhilH

Looking for a recipe for ground Elk Jerky
« on: July 08, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
Hello everyone, I have a lot of ground elk, I would like to try to make some ground elk jerky.  I have made whole muscle jerky from beef, but never the ground type.  Any recipes or techniques would be appreciated!

I will be shaping it by hand, want to try it first before I invest in the jerky attachment from Walton’s Inc
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for a recipe for ground Elk Jerky
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 04:51:32 PM »
Is your elk just ground lean meat, or is there fat added to make burger? Added fat my be a bit of an issue, you can still make a jerky product but store it in the fridge so the fat does not go rancid on you.

I saw you said you are doing it by hand, it can be done. I do recommend a Jerky Cannon, it really helps to push out a large volume of meat fast. I spray racks with cooking spray and pump out full length strips directly onto the rack.

Dry cures work well, I have used High Mountain Seasonings Jerky Dry Cure with good success.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

PhilH

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
Decided against doing it by hand, I’m going to get this ground jerky attachment from Walton’s, and this smoked meat stabilizer so I can smoke it right away without a 12 hour cure.  Unless you think I could just use sodium erythorbate.

The ground elk is 90/10 but I don’t mind keeping the jerky in the freezer.

I bought 5 lbs of eye round from Costco today, i need some jerky
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:17 AM »
I have not used the meat stabilizer you posted. I use cure #1 and have never waited 12 hours after adding it. I see the stabilizer is in part citric acid. The acid changes the PH level of the meat, but to me changes the taste, good luck with it.

The jerky attachment is interesting but has its own issues. Are you using a stuffier or a grinder to feed the meat through it? For a ground meat product I use the LEM Jerky Cannon https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-468-Jerky-Cannon/dp/B000SQFGRS Unlike the rig you posted it can easily be managed by one person. If you watch Walton's video their attachment is used by two people. Also note that you roll the strips out on the paper then have to transfer them to the racks. With a cannon you apply the strips directly to the smoking racks.

Eye of the round makes good Jerky. Cut it across the grain for an easier bite.

I would NOT smoke at temps higher than 120 or to an internal temp of 165. Jerky is COOKED at those temps not dried. Dried jerky has better taste and texture.

You did not mention if you have a drier fan. Either the SI fan or a homemade one is critical to draw out the condensation in the smoker. You can smoke for a few hours then move the strips to a low temp oven or food dehydrator but that is more work.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

PhilH

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
I have the 11 lb stuffer, and the smoking it jerky fan!
Phillip   Ramsey MN

PhilH

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 09:16:01 AM »
I might try this.  I used the encapsulated citric acid once and hated it
Phillip   Ramsey MN