Author Topic: Anyone up for some smoked BELLY ????  (Read 1392 times)

polarlys

Anyone up for some smoked BELLY ????
« on: June 25, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
Not much mention around here about pork belly ??   Anyone with to share their success / failures with smokin some BELLY in the Smokin-It smoker ???   I have a model 3 and have had very good success with ribs and butts and now would like to expand and find something special to do with a belly.   

Appreciate any ideas. 
ThanX all, stay healthy and virus free

Roger from NJ
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

barelfly

Re: Anyone up for some smoked BELLY ????
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
By all means, smoke some belly!

I do belly multiple times a year, I follow Michael Ruhlman’s process to make bacon but I’ve also done pork belly burnt ends.

I get my bellies at Costco, they are usually about 10lbs, so I can make two 5lb slabs of bacon using 2 gallon zipper top bags. you can try various seasonings or just go simple, but pepper is one that I have enjoyed most.

I think I’ve posted a few of my processes in the past. But I know there are others that have had great success as well.

Enjoy that belly!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

polarlys

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »
ThanX Jeremy.   Where can I find some info on this ???   I've done many bellies as bacon with really good results.   I have only tried once since I got the Smokin-it.   My earlier ones were with my old homemade reeefer box smoker and they came out very well.   I had the room to do a whole case of 6 at one time.   
Roger from NJ
Somerset, NJ
retired Police Officer
retired Air Nat'l. Guard
US Army '69-'72 (20th Engineers Vietnam)
SI-3d

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 11:34:35 AM »
Here’s one post of bacon I did. With the Smoking-it smoker, I use a lower temp and I have a computer fan I outfitted into a pipe fitting to help with the smoke draw and lower temp (got the idea from someone on this board). I will also feather the power on and off to try and keep the temp down to allow for a longer smoke time. But that’s a little harder to do in the summer months here. The cure method I use is called the salt box method Michael Ruhlman describes in his book Charcuterie. it’s a great read, lots of cool recipes in it. I’ve made quite a bit of his charcuterie recipes as well, fun stuff to!

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=7328.0

Here’s a link to some really good burnt ends - I’ve done this a few times and love it!

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends-b%C3%A1nh-m%C3%AC

There’s lots of info on the site for bacon, if that’s what you are wanting.
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=37.0

Let me know if this helps some.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

kona77

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »

There is a bacon thread on this site that has a lot of good data. I cold smoke my pork bellies so I do mine in winter months.
Good luck     
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 07:08:05 AM »
There are 1081 Posts on 85 Topics in the BACON Section of the main menu.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud