Author Topic: Make A Boneless Ham from Scratch  (Read 1368 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Make A Boneless Ham from Scratch
« on: June 21, 2020, 04:16:13 PM »
I started with a whole rear leg of pig and boned it completely.
If you start at the shank end and work up following the femur you make less of a mess.
I removed the bone and split the joint at the knee keeping the hock intact to smoke separately.

Using a meat trussing needle and heavy butcher twine I tied the ham securely. I injected the thickest portions of the ham the put it under brine with a double batch of the following recipe.

American Style Brown Sugar-Glazed Holiday Ham
1 Gallon Water
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 oz or 42grams or 8 teaspoons Pink salt

The Ham brined for seven full days and was removed and rested in the fridge, uncovered on a rack for 24 hours.

I added a plastic ham net from Butcher and Packer as tight as I could get it, I hung the ham in the net from a chop stick and spun it to tighten the netting. You want the ham to compress so it will hold its shape when cooked. I secured the netting with a knot and some butcher twine.

I smoked the ham at 125 for three hours with 8oz of Plum Wood. The ham was moved to a sheet pan, covered in cling film and cooled overnight in the fridge.

I placed the ham in my largest pot and covered it with cool water to find the amount I needed to cover it. I removed the ham and brought the water up to 175F. I added the ham and cooked it for 20 minutes per pound. It took an extra 30 minutes beyond the expected 3 hours and 20 minutes to reach 150 internal.

I drained off all the water and allowed the ham to cool in the pot, prior to moving it to a sheet tray. The ham was very firm at this point and rested overnight in the fridge.

The pictures are from the next day when I was slicing. This was the first time doing a Ham in this style and one this large. It was over 11 pounds after the brine. Two quarts of ham salad was made in addition to the slices. The smoke flavor and aroma is still very present after cooking in water. Overall the ham is very moist and tender. All that have tried it loved it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 10:14:46 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Make A Boneless Ham
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
That looks real good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mike1910

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 06:42:35 PM »
Oh my....looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the entire process!
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

PhilH

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »
That looks delish.  So far my ham attempts have been only ok.  I would love to try a boneless one. 
Phillip   Ramsey MN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 10:35:13 PM »
Thanks Mike, Phil and David. Inspiration came from Eckerhard Willutzki;s video. https://youtu.be/9MJZm-Xa3ik

Eckerhard has a YouTube Chanel called Eckerhard The German Butcher. In that video he uses a ham press and a smaller cut of meat than I had. Even if I had a ham press It would have to be huge to hold 11 pounds. The butcher twine and netting kept the meat compressed enough to give it shape.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud