Author Topic: Pork Shoulder  (Read 2578 times)

Retriever

Pork Shoulder
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:47:02 PM »
Great pork shoulder today, 225 for the first 5 hours, 250 for the second five hours.  Cherry wood chunks.  Thought I would try something different, let the smoker preheat for about 40 minutes allowing the heavier darker smoke to subside and then added the shoulder. Delicious!

Happy Easter!
Kevin - Galveston, TX
#2D
Pitts by JJ Stick Burner
Weber gas and kettle

barelfly

Re: Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:44 PM »
Kevin - the bark on that shoulder looks phenomenal!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 10:38:16 PM »
I'd eat that :D
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

mike1910

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 07:45:53 AM »
Nice job, Kevin! Shoulder looks on point. Hope you had a great Easter
Mike from NE Minnesota
SI #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:23:51 PM »
Very nice looking butt!

Did you notice a difference with and without preheating?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Retriever

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
Hard to tell because of the length of the smoke.  Going to preheat next rack of ribs to get a feel for the difference, not to 225, just until the smoke changes from dark to light / clearer.  Usually 30-45 minutes.  Could also be the wood chunks.

When I cook on the stick burner, would never put meat on the smoker until an almost clear colored smoke.............just my opinion that the darker smoke during initial combustion has a bitter taste.  Again, just an observation.

Take care.
Kevin - Galveston, TX
#2D
Pitts by JJ Stick Burner
Weber gas and kettle

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
I always put my meat on right away, but I do use the ramp-up method where I keep the temp at 150 for the first 45 minutes. I do this mainly to prevent the wood from starting on fire, but I think it also accomplishes the reduction if not elimination of the heavy smoke that you are talking about.

You could try this method too which would be a little easier and you would eliminate the possibility of the rush of fresh oxygen entering the smoking chamber that could cause the wood to start on fire when you open the door to add your meat.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhilH

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:42:43 AM »
Will definitely try 150 F for first 45 min next time, seeing as how I just had a fire
Phillip   Ramsey MN

jclifton

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »
I always put my meat on right away, but I do use the ramp-up method where I keep the temp at 150 for the first 45 minutes. I do this mainly to prevent the wood from starting on fire, but I think it also accomplishes the reduction if not elimination of the heavy smoke that you are talking about.

You could try this method too which would be a little easier and you would eliminate the possibility of the rush of fresh oxygen entering the smoking chamber that could cause the wood to start on fire when you open the door to add your meat.

I saw this method in a previous post and it has absolutely elevated the quality of my results.  Really smooth smoke every time.  Really grateful that I saw this.

Jason
On order:
SI 3.5D w/Big Red

es1025

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 10:25:12 AM »
I use a two step process. 180 for 30 minutes and whatever the final temp would be for the rest. This past Sunday, smoked a butt at 270 until a it of 200. The most moist butt I ever made. Took about 9 hours, rested for an hour.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?