Author Topic: St. Louis cut ribs  (Read 6782 times)

es1025

St. Louis cut ribs
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:08:01 PM »
Finally took the plunge and made slc ribs. I butchered the flap and the membrane applied some Worcestershire sauce and my rub. Let sit for 15 minutes on each side. Added 4.5 oz of cherry wood, and set temp at 225-233 and let it smoke for 3 hours. After 3 hours wrapped in foil adding some apple juice and honey. Cooked for another two hours. Pulled off smoker and let rest for 15 minutes.
wow, these were really good, Joe you were right slc are better than baby backs. They were fall off the bone good, no tug at all. From now on its either 3-2 or 2-2 for ribs. You can add some sauce on the side.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: St. Louis cut ribs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
Nice!  When I did a rack last week, I knew the "1" part of a 3-2-1 was overkill!  I'm trying them your way next time, with maybe a quick sear on the Weber gas grill to finish them.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
Tony
I have been reading a bunch of articles regarding ribs, either Babies or SLC.  Most articles say the last hour in the 321 or 221 is to provide a glaze and to firm up.  My question is if my ribs are fall off the bone at 5/4 hours why can't I just apply some warm sauce....

BTW, the ribs I cooked Saturday are still good, under the broiler for a few minutes on each side a little bbq sauce, good eats.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:34:34 PM »
Tony
I have been reading a bunch of articles regarding ribs, either Babies or SLC.  Most articles say the last hour in the 321 or 221 is to provide a glaze and to firm up.  My question is if my ribs are fall off the bone at 5/4 hours why can't I just apply some warm sauce....

BTW, the ribs I cooked Saturday are still good, under the broiler for a few minutes on each side a little bbq sauce, good eats.

I found that the short cook time, and then foil time, prohibits the rub/bark from getting where I personally like it.  Although they taste great, they just don't "look" as appealing.  I found the same problem with a pork loin I cooked.  Just not very "pretty."  I did the "reverse sear" method on the loin, and it was awesome!  Rubbed it in sauce and threw it on the hot gas grill for just a few minutes.  It caramelized the sauce and rub, looked great, and tasted even better!  By searing meat at the end, you really don't effect the internal temp/doneness/moisture factor; it just finishes the exterior to give it that "wow" factor. 

Warm sauce alone is definitely an option, though! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
Ed,

Just as with any process, these types of things are subject to revision.  If you're noting the pull back on the bones that typically signify doneness, or they pass the "bend test", then slap some sauce on them and either grill or broil.  However, remember that those ribs will also use that last hour unwrapped in the smoker to lose some of that excess moisture and firm up the bark (not just a glaze or sauce).
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:40:55 PM »
Joe, I have to try the grill or broiler for the sauce.  I have not had great bark, but the leftovers today tasted real good and the rub was baked it nicely.
Ed from Northern NJ

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »
I've actually moved away from the 3-2-1 method to improve my bark ... the entire session (around five hours on average) uses no foiling and a prolonged exposure to the smoke.  I've only had one batch of ribs that are even remotely dry (though still tasty and better than most BBQ restaurants) and that was when I had to bug out for an emergency and wasn't able to do two apple juice spritzes during the sesion.

Just for giggles, try a single rack or portion of a rack with a straight smoke to see if you like it.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
Joe, I've noticed that in several of your posts - the "unwrapped" rib smoke.  I'm definitely going to try this, as I'm a big fan of Memphis-style dry bbq (I think that's Memphis), and add your own sauce.  I want to try the reverse sear thing, too, because the caramelized bbq sauce and rub was pretty tasty on the pork loin!  You may just be on to a movement away from 3-2-1, 2-2-1 here....a paradigm shift, perhaps? ???
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Eh, a lot of it is simply individualized preference for technique and/or final product.  I think competition smokers love the 3-2-1 method because it is so predictable and one of the least labor intensive methods for the level of perfection they need.  I've tried to use varied styles and honestly it's simply the whim on the day of the smoke that drives my decision making.

I'm not so sure it's a paradigm shift as much as it is a method that suits my particular preferred taste and texture profile ... I like a bit of bite in my ribs, not necessarily falling off the bone.  The slightly reduced moisture content and firmer bark with unwrapped smoking leaves a very smoky profile to the exterior while retaining good juiciness inside.

And now I'm craving ribs from Rendezvous in Memphis ... sigh.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
Oooh, you had to mention Rendezvous!  Now THAT's one great bbq joint!  :P
Tony from NW Arkansas

Muttley

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
Oooh, you had to mention Rendezvous!  Now THAT's one great bbq joint!  :P

Really?  I ate there last month, despite three people advising me not to do so.  I wasn't impressed.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:04:30 PM by Muttley »

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
Hmm ... I haven't been to Memphis since around 2007 but I did think very highly of their ribs.  I liked Central BBQ as well but I always thought Interstate BBQ to be overrated ... besides, they gave horrible service to the debate team I was coaching even though they were really slow that day.  Eh, to each their own I suppose.
Joe from Houston, TX