Author Topic: First smoke - Baby Backs  (Read 3489 times)

Bigumdaddyo

First smoke - Baby Backs
« on: July 03, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
For my first smoke in the #3 the choice was Baby Backs. We rubbed them the night before with home made rub. I used the 2-2-1 method at 225d with 2.5 oz of hickory. The second 2 we wrapped the ribs in foils with apple juice and vinegar. It really turned out to be more like 2-2-2. The racks did not bend like I expected. I let them smoke a bit little longer. They were just ever so slightly dry, but that was easily remedied with some BBQ sauce. My wife and started sampling until we ate just about a full rack. We were both extremely pleased with the first smoke. I would call that a success with room for improvement which will require practice practice practice.

Bigumaddyo
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: First smoke - Baby Backs
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Congratulations on the first smoke...and with nice success!   I also follow the 2-2-1 method, and frequently make adjustments, ususally dropping the last hour down a bit.  However, today, I needed the full last hour to get the meat to the point where it was pulling back off the bone.

Happy smok'in!  Cheers.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
Looks good Daddyo! I haven't done any baby backs yet, only center cuts. I always skip the last hour and give a good coat of BBQ then finish them on the grill to caramelize the sauce.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »
Glad you had a successful first smoke.  With the 2-2-1 method, you should have seen a bit more pullback on the bones; did you run a thermometer on the chamber temp as well?

One thing I'd recommend is an hourly spritzing with apple juice (I've even used hard apple cider) with a food-grade spray bottle (Wal-Mart carries them, as do restaurant supply stores).  They look killer so you're definitely close to perfection!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions UWFSAE.

Yes, I did monitor the temp, It took a long time to get 225 it seemed to stay around 190 for longer than I would have liked. I did not spray them but I definitely will next time.

I ate the last of them for lunch today and I have to say the were great to the last bite.

Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:17:55 PM »
Congrats on the first smoke, Daddyo!  They sure look good!  The coolest thing about these cookers, and this group of people, is the journey to "perfection!"  We all learn something on every smoke, and the ideas shared about our trials and successes help everyone.  I had kinda the same experience on my first spares, and have read lots of good ideas on how to improve on the next cook.

Remember, on the journey to perfection, you might just occasionally run into excellence!   8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!