Author Topic: Favorite Nuts?  (Read 6885 times)

LarryD

• 3DW
Favorite Nuts?
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
I regularly smoke almonds (with hickory) and pecans (with pecan) and they are incredible.

I wet them in a colander, let them drip, put them in a large roaster pan, add seasoning (2 parts salt, 1 part onion powder, and 1 part garlic powder), stir, and then smoke. Pecans take an hour and almonds take 1.5 hours.

What are your favorite nuts to smoke with what wood, seasoning, and other details?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

barelfly

Re: Favorite Nuts?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
I have not tried to smoke nuts. But, given I got 3-4 gallons of pecans each year from family, I could try some of these.

I like cashews, I wonder how these would work?
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

prudentsmoker

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:09:05 PM »
I have been wanting to smoke some almonds. Thanks for sharing.
Brian from Wichita

EFGM

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »
I regularly smoke almonds (with hickory) and pecans (with pecan) and they are incredible.

I wet them in a colander, let them drip, put them in a large roaster pan, add seasoning (2 parts salt, 1 part onion powder, and 1 part garlic powder), stir, and then smoke. Pecans take an hour and almonds take 1.5 hours.

What are your favorite nuts to smoke with what wood, seasoning, and other details?

Larry, do you cold smoke these or what temp do you smoke them at. If you use heat, do you bring smoker up to temp first (for more smoke at the beginning) and then put the nuts in?

Thanks
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
Larry, do you cold smoke these or what temp do you smoke them at. If you use heat, do you bring smoker up to temp first (for more smoke at the beginning) and then put the nuts in?

I put them in the cold smoker and crank it up to 240 so it roasts and smokes them at the same time.
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Jimeo

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »
Are you starting with a raw nut, Larry?  I love almonds and need to give this a try...
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »
Are you starting with a raw nut, Larry?  I love almonds and need to give this a try...

Yes... I get them at Sam's Club.  The almonds come in 3 lb. bags for ~$13 and the pecans come in 2 lb. bags for ~$14.  Smoked almonds will keep quite a while, but the smoked pecans have to be used up quicker as they will go stale and start to taste funky after a time.

Everyone will have to play with the wood to get their preferred smokiness...  I like it pretty strong so I use about 4 oz of wood.

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Larry, Thanks for the nut details. Just did a batch of pecan's and almonds. Got in a rush on the almonds and used pecan instead of hickory. Very good snacks and will come in handy on a short trip we are taking.

Thanks again!

Doug
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
Larry, Thanks for the nut details. Just did a batch of pecan's and almonds. Got in a rush on the almonds and used pecan instead of hickory. Very good snacks and will come in handy on a short trip we are taking.

You're quite welcome!  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. 

Metrakay

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
Toasted pecans store well in the freezer for several months.  Have you tried that? 

This sounds like a great idea given the eight pecan trees in the yard.
MetraKay
SE Oklahoma
Official Taste Tester: Mercy Doberman

EFGM

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »

Thanks Again Larry, smoked some pecans yesterday and they were awesome, just like last year.
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

annacarter478

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 03:02:12 AM »
I like cashew and almonds, on this occasion of thanksgiving I especially saw discount deals on these nuts, because I and my family eat whole winter to eat them, like this year I bought them from Black Friday Promo Codes, and by using discount codes I get many discounts, so you can say this sale helps me to save money. 

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »
Toasted pecans store well in the freezer for several months.  Have you tried that? 

I'll have to try that... I know that vacuum sealing and throwing them in the pantry will NOT preserve them for very long.  Of course, it's so easy to make a batch that I don't really ever feel compelled to make mass quantities and store, anyway.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 03:45:56 PM »
I like cashew and almonds,

I haven't done cashews, yet, but I've been considering them...  do you season them at all?  How long do you smoke them and at what temperature?