Author Topic: MY First BB  (Read 6463 times)

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
MY First BB
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »
I smoked my first Boston butt Friday and all I can say is WOW!

Here’s what I did:
Thursday morning before work, I took out the 8lb butt and gave it a good rinse. I noticed what I perceived as a fairly thick fat cap (about ¼ - 3/8 inches thick), so I trimmed a good bit off but left a little (about 1/16 of an inch). Rinsed again, dried, did the yellow mustard smear, and used McCormick’s Pork Rub. I wrapped the butt up and back in the frig for 24 hours.

Up at 5am Friday, I put the butt in the #1 at 225 with 3.5 oz of hickory and 2.5 of cherry. I was planning on a 12 hour smoke, 200 degree IT, 1 hour rest and eating at about 6 o’clock. At 4 o’clock the butt was at 175 so I turned the temp up a little to 230 and at 5:15 it was only at 185 so I cranked it all the way up. The butt finally hit 190 at about 6 so I figured that would have to do, I foiled and toweled the butt and into the cooler for an hour.

After resting I was amazed on how easily the pork shredded apart using just two small forks. The pork was super moist and super flavorful. I served the pork on toasted sesame seed Kaiser Rolls and Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce. I also had salad and Jalapeno and Corn Baked Mac and Cheese. The Mac and Cheese was really good and went well with the pull pork sandwiches (link below to recipe below if anyone wants to try it)

http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/pasta/1716.html

One thing I’m noticing with smoking is the meat is so flavorful that heavy molasses based commercial BBQ sauce is overpowering (my wife said she didn’t want any sauce because the butt already had so much flavor). I believe they are designed for more run of the mill prepared meats. I’m going to start experimenting with lighter sauces that will compliment the all the flavors that smoking imparts rather than covering them up.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

es1025

Re: MY First BB
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
Did you wrap the butt anytime during the cooking process? Sounds really good. I make my own ketchup based sauce. Small amount of molasses. I want to get a Carolina based sauce. I will be smoking first bb for the 4th.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

afratki

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:05:52 AM »
This was literally a pretty much set it and forget it operation. Other than tweaking the temp towards the end there was no mopping, spritzing, or wrapping. I didn't even put a pan of anything in the bottom and the pork was still super moist. I wish I had taken some pictures but I didn't have a chance.

Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Sounds like a great experience!  A few words about the temp issues you have ...

All Flintstonian-sized pieces of meat will hit a plateau that may last hours; it actually may lose a few degrees of temp ... for me it seems to happen at approximately 160 degrees.  Don't bump the temp, let it ride ... I've had pork butts of similar size or smaller take 13-14 hours before.  Now I realize that this may delay your meal (which is why early prep and smoke, then holding in a cooler is a great tactic for an on-time dinner) but the "low & slow" method is sound ... let the science do its thing.  Also, here is a killer tool for shredding pork:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Meat-Handler-Forks/dp/B003IWI66W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1IGCSRY9GXKE6&coliid=I3QGH0Y76Q78NM

Sweet Baby Ray's is a very decent store-bought sauce ... if the Honey flavor is too cloying try the SBR Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce (a bit more complex, though still quite sweet).

For ex1025, I'll post both a Carolina style vinegar sauce and a Georgia style mustard-based sauce for you in a couple of days ... they're both really simple to make and are a great change of pace.

Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

afratki

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice UWFSAE and the link to the bear claws

Next BB I'll def allot more time than the standard 1.5 hour/pound. Do you know if there is a realistic time limit to resting assuming you keep the meat well insulated?

I also look forward to you posting some recipes.

Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

ultrafirebike

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
One thing I’m noticing with smoking is the meat is so flavorful that heavy molasses based commercial BBQ sauce is overpowering (my wife said she didn’t want any sauce because the butt already had so much flavor). I believe they are designed for more run of the mill prepared meats. I’m going to start experimenting with lighter sauces that will compliment the all the flavors that smoking imparts rather than covering them up.
I've found the same thing..so in anticipation the two shoulders I'm smoking tomorrow, I made up a batch of light Carolina sauce (Piedmont Sauce). Since I did ribs yesterday with a dry rub, and they were just a little dry in the ends, I also made up a Kansas City style BBQ sauce that went well with the ribs for lunch today. The lighter sauce is sitting over night for use on the pulled pork when it's done tomorrow night. Here is a linkhttp://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/tp/10barbecuesauce.htm for the two sauces I made today...both have their unique flavor and used for different things. I would highly recommend the Piedmont for the Pulled Pork!!
Ultrafirebike
I will ride anywhere to try BBQ
North America is my local Riding area

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »
That Piedmont style sauce is pretty much a North Carolina staple ... I may have to give it a whirl.

ES and Afratki, I posted two mustard and/or vinegar-based sauce recipes under the "Everything Else" tab.  Hope they help!
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
Congrats on your first butt!  It's amazing how good they turn out on one of these little babies!  I got rave reviews out of this sauce (St Louis-style); I think it's incredible on pork.  I'd love to have someone try it and rate/improve it!  Here it is:

2 cups ketchup
1/2 c water
1/3 c apple cider vinegar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 Tbls yellow mustard
1 Tbls onion powder
1 Tbls garlic powder
1 Tsp cayenne
1/3 cup honey
A splash of Kitchen Bouquet for color (unless you don't mind a reddish-tint)

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer until well-blended.  Note: be prepared to constantly stir this mixture when you add heat!  Ketchup will bubble up and splatter everywhere if you don't keep the sauce moving!  When hot and well-blended, remove from heat and place in the fridge overnight (it allows the spices to really develop).  It's good right after cooking, but is even better after it sits 24-hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

afratki

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the recipes UWFSAE and DivotMaker, I have to give them all a try!

Oh the sacrifices we make <insert sarcastic humor>  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:44:44 PM by afratki »
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the recipes UWFSAE and DivotMaker, I have to them all a try!

Oh the sacrifices we make <insert sarcastic humor>  ;)

That's why this is the first forum I've actively participated in!  We've got a great group of members!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »
I will start a section for sauces.  Let me know if anyone wants me to move a post that they started.

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

UWFSAE

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Ben, could you move my three sauce recipes from the "Everything Else" section to the new "Sauces" tab?  Thanks!
Joe from Houston, TX