Author Topic: Peach/hickory spares in the ol' #1 today!  (Read 7415 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Peach/hickory spares in the ol' #1 today!
« on: June 29, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »
Threw a rack of spares in at 10:15 this morning!  Using the 3-2-1 on these, my butt rub and sauce.  I'll get some pics and results up later!  Mmmm-mmmm!!  Already smelling great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

Re: Peach/hickory spares in the ol' #1 today!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »
We're on step 2!  Foiled and looking good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:30:23 PM »
Step 3...check!  Step 4...cut and eat...check!  The spares turned out good; very tender, but a little dry.  Next time, I'll back off to a 3-2-.5 method and see how they look.  Left them unwrapped just a little too long.  They tasted incredible, though, and the family ate the whole rack!

You can see in the pics that I had to cut the rack in half to fit my #1.  A little more depth, and I could have got the whole rack in!  Small price to pay, but it worked out fine.  Doing a brisket tomorrow; same thing...had to halve it to make an 11-pounder fit the #1.  I'll post it!

Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
Nonetheless, it sounds like a successful first smoke.  Don't be afraid to use spritzing during the unfoiled segments (every 60-75 minutes for ribs does the trick) or even a smoker pan.  I don't typically marinate ribs (unless I'm doing an Asian style) so I think you'll see more than adequate results with these two options rather than going to a 3-2 method.

Admittedly, there could be a difference in outcomes based on the size of my #3 vs. your #1 but spritzing or mopping is a time-tested system that pays real dividends.

That being said, I strongly encourage you to consider an injection for your brisket halves (or even experiment with one as a control and one as the experimental).  A cup of beef stock (Better Than Bouillon Beef Flavor is always in my fridge), some worcestershire or low-sodium soy, a bit of flat beer, some Tabasco, and some melted butter and you'll have ample internal moisture.  Alternatively, spritz/mop at 60-90 minute intervals.

Congrats on the "christening" and be sure to post brisket pics!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »
This actually wasn't my first smoke on the #1, but were my first spare ribs.  I've smoked a Boston butt for pulled pork, jerky, spares, and today a brisket.  I broke it in two weeks ago, but didn't get to cook last weekend due to work.  The brisket is on now!

I didn't inject the brisket, just rubbed with Phil's brisket rub & let sit in the fridge overnight.  I'll inject the next one if this one isn't as moist as it should be.  I'm on the Texas Crutch now, temp @ 170.  I'll get some pics up later!
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
Sounds like you are on the road to success.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
Looks good!  I too have to cut the racks in half for the #2.    You didn't mentioned this, but did you add some liquid (I use apple juice) when you foiled the ribs?   I foil them for the middle 2 hours, meat side down with apple juice and they come out tender each time.

I posted this in the #2 board, but since you mentioned Boston butts...do you add wood after the smoker is going?  I have noticed that my wood is pretty much ash after 4 hours, so I am wondering if more wood is needed for longer smokes like the Boston butt?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:44:51 PM by swthorpe »
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »
Looks good!  I too have to cut the racks in half for the #2.    You didn't mentioned this, but did you add some liquid (I use apple juice) when you foiled the ribs?   I foil them for the middle 2 hours, meat side down with apple juice and they come out tender each time.

I posted this in the #2 board, but since you mentioned Boston butts...do you add wood after the smoker is going?  I have noticed that my wood is pretty much ash after 4 hours, so I am wondering if more wood is needed for longer smokes like the Boston butt?

You're right - I didn't mention that I did add apple juice in the foil, with meat side down.  I think I just let them go about 15 minutes too long unwrapped (looking to dry the surface and get a good bark).  All-in-all, they were as good as any bbq joint ribs I've had, and better than many.  I guess I'm just a perfectionist!

The butt I cooked couldn't have been better, IMHO.  I didn't add wood, as the butt will stop absorbing much smoke after it reaches about 140 IT.  I did not foil wrap my butt (sorry to sound kinky:), and let it work through the stall on its own.  I think this helped with the really good bark, and the butt was plenty smokey (since it absorbed as much smoke as possible after 13 hours).  Here's a link to my first butt cook on the #1:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=715.0 

Hope this helps, and happy smoking!
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »
Thanks!  I have your message tagged for review before I begin on Thursday morning!   All of my smokes so far have been in the 3 to 4 hour range, so waiting out a 10 to 12 hours smoke is going to be an interesting ride.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
You're welcome!  The cool thing about a 10-12 hour ride with the Smokin-It is that you can actually do other things along the way besides tending the smoker! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Yup!   I may even go to the driving range for a bit after the first 4 hours or so...  :)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »
Yup!   I may even go to the driving range for a bit after the first 4 hours or so...  :)

Now THAT'S using your time wisely, if I do say so myself! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:28:20 PM »
Driving range?  Hell, you might even get in an entire round if you inject rather than spritz ...  8)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
Driving range?  Hell, you might even get in an entire round if you inject rather than spritz ...  8)

Hmmm...another good reason to try injection that I haven't thought of!  Thanks Joe!
Tony from NW Arkansas