Author Topic: My best spares to date ...  (Read 4210 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
My best spares to date ...
« on: April 21, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
I decided to try something a bit different this weekend so I abandoned the 3-2-1 method and did a salt/sugar brine with a rack of St. Louis Spares and used a cayenne-heavy rub and no mop or sauce. 

5.5 hours in the #3 at 225 with 2 oz. of hickory and 3 oz. of cherry, left the door shut the entire time.

The rub was as follows for a this attempt:

1/4 Cup   dark brown sugar
1/4 Cup   demara sugar
1/4 Cup    smoked paprika
1/4 Cup    cayenne pepper
2 tbsp   coarse ground black pepper
2 tbsp   kosher salt
2 tbsp   ancho chili powder
2 tbsp   garlic powder
1 tbsp   onion powder
1 tbsp   ground white pepper
1 tbsp   cumin
1 tbsp   dry mustard

I like the heat in the bark ... I may actually amp the heat up even further on the next attempt.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

shomesmoke

Re: My best spares to date ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 04:23:06 PM »
How long did you brine your ribs and could you tell any difference from plain ribs?
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
I did an overnight brine ... the salt was noticeable but no sugar.  I think next time I may add some black pepper and garlic paste to the marinade to see if it amps up the flavor.  Slightly more moist, but I was hoping for a bit more flavor ... a marinade may get me the pop I'm looking for.

That being said, these were still out of this world.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
Those look incredible, Joe!  I'm doing spares tomorrow, and brisket Sunday.  Tell any difference in the moistness/tenderness by not foiling them? 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »
Honestly, I actually prefer them unfoiled ... while the 3-2-1 method is damn near bulletproof, I think that the steaming action of cooking ribs in foil does alter the texture of the meat a bit.  I find a slightly firmer, though not significantly drier, meat that pulls from the bone but still has a pleasant "bite" is my preference so I'm going to stick with this for a while until a new whim strikes my fancy ...

I just finished a very simple bone-in country style rib smoke that I'll post in a bit; 3.5 hours, unfoiled, and they turned out perfect.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
Honestly, I actually prefer them unfoiled ... while the 3-2-1 method is damn near bulletproof, I think that the steaming action of cooking ribs in foil does alter the texture of the meat a bit.  I find a slightly firmer, though not significantly drier, meat that pulls from the bone but still has a pleasant "bite" is my preference so I'm going to stick with this for a while until a new whim strikes my fancy ...

I just finished a very simple bone-in country style rib smoke that I'll post in a bit; 3.5 hours, unfoiled, and they turned out perfect.

Sounds good.  Thanks for the great advice, once again!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!