Author Topic: Baby backs are back  (Read 7244 times)

drains

Baby backs are back
« on: October 08, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
After my less than stellar go at full spares I needed to return to that which I have had better results. Namely baby backs. Two racks with no rub, that's right NO rub, went into the #3 with half hickory, half ash 2.5 ounces worth. Wth the temp set for 225 the ribs smoked for 4 1/2 hours then sauced with SBR and left for an additional 30 minutes. When taken out they were rested for 30 minutes and were the most tender and juicy I have enjoyed yet. Pics b low
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 04:35:15 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Baby backs are back
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 04:36:33 PM »
I agree.

I personally like baby back ribs.

I then watched all these shows like BBQ Pit Wars and the other shows with Myron Mixon. Those shows advocate spare ribs are the true barbecue. Blah blah blah.

I like baby back ribs so that what I do from now on.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Glock_21

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »

I prefer baby backs myself.  I also like them to be what many consider 'overcooked'.  I like them to almost fall off the bone. 

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 04:49:56 PM »
Agree on that point too!!!

I can make them fall off the bone or competition worthy where they require a slight tug. Did them competition for a whole picnic and everyone there didn't understand and were like yah they are so so. Most people don't know and prefer fall off the bone.  So I finally said forget it ... Do what I like and others too.

This isn't a competition... It's my house... My friends... My food. 😀
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
Nice, Dale!  I've never done "no rub" ribs, but may have to give them a try!  I, too, prefer back ribs over spares any day, and twice on Sunday! ;)   Much more meat, and so much more tender!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »

I prefer baby backs myself.  I also like them to be what many consider 'overcooked'.  I like them to almost fall off the bone.

You would have enjoyed these. I was tearing them up while trying to cut up the racks into individual ribs. They were falling apart, very tender. Grabbed a few and squirreled them away in the back of the fridge for in the morning. Ribs and coffee, no better breakfast.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »
+ 1 baby backs over spares! Not that spares are bad, but if I had to pick one, baby backs win by far! Perfect meat to fat ratio, and I also like them fall of the bone, even though I know competition BBQ likes them with a little chew.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
Nice, Dale!  I've never done "no rub" ribs, but may have to give them a try!  I, too, prefer back ribs over spares any day, and twice on Sunday! ;)   Much more meat, and so much more tender!

Thanks Tony, the no rub idea was just a spur of the moment thing. I knew I was going to sauce them anyway. I really didn't miss it and nobody else noticed so no harm no foul. BBS are my favorite then St. Louis cut. It seems full spares are too inconsistent in size and quality to get the same results every time even if the method is the same, at least for me. I see the Razorbacks are playing Alabama tonight so good luck and GO HOGS SOOOEEE!
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Nimrod

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »
Good looking babybacks Dale!
Id like to think I like baby backs better than SLC or spares ::)
....but I just need more testing I guess. 
I hope you saved a few for a Dallas victory snack this evening 8)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
I guess I am the outlier here, because I prefer St Louis Cut spare ribs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Grampy

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »

Gregg, you are not alone. I prefer the St Louis Cut spares as well. Not that I don't enjoy the Baby Backs from time to time.   8)
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Walt

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
I prefer Spareribs but also enjoy baby backs & usually cook a 3 pac of BB & a 2 pack of spares each time (from SAMS) so everyone is happy. A few packs of mixed ribs get vac packed for those evenings when we are short on time. Leftover diced ribmeat also goes well folded into some homemade smoked gouda & cheddar mac & cheese.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
I am glad to know that I am not alone. :)

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally like to smoke some Baby Backs too. But, my go to ribs are Full Spares or St Louis Cut ribs.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
I love it!  Votes for spares or baby backs is like a horse race!  It's almost as much fun as the "fat cap up or down" debate!   ;D ;D   I grew up on spares, and love them.  But, once I discovered back ribs, I rarely do spares anymore! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Sodaking27

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
+1 for the baby backs. The others are ok, but if I get my choice it's definitely bb's.
Don from Maryland.
Saving my pennies for a 3D