Author Topic: Ideas for smoking lamb chops  (Read 3558 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

Ideas for smoking lamb chops
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:43:18 AM »
I just read Walt's 2014 post on lamb chops and was surprised at the lack of other responses on smoking lamb chops.  I plan to give it a try Thurs. and it seems that the method I use for smoking steaks should work well.  My chops are about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.  What would be the best wood and how much,  keeping in mind I only have hickory, oak, and cherry.   
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Ideas for smoking lamb chops
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
I haven't read Walt's post (recently), but the same technique as a rare or medium rare steak should work fine for lamb chops. The only difference might be the rub/marinade. Lamb likes marinades and flavors like rosemary, garlic, etc. Lots of recipes on the web for lamb marinades (I would avoid acid in the marinade). You'll want to be careful not to overcook them, by using a low temperature (like 200?) and probe the chops. Probably smoke to around 110-115 IT then a quick sear. I would go oak on the lamb. Same amount you'd use for steak. They are not going to be in the smoker very long, so split your wood into smaller pieces. In the future for smoking, you might look for a whole rack of lamb. It would be easier to smoke, sear whole, and could be sliced into individual chops after smoking. Kind of the equivalent of a prime rib vs. individual bone-in ribeye.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:45:14 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »
+1 to Kari. I think either hickory  or oak will work as the meat is robust enough in flavor to handle it. Let us know how it comes out!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »
I haven't read Walt's post (recently), but the same technique as a rare or medium rare steak should work fine for lamb chops. The only difference might be the rub/marinade. Lamb likes marinades and flavors like rosemary, garlic, etc. Lots of recipes on the web for lamb marinades (I would avoid acid in the marinade). You'll want to be careful not to overcook them, by using a low temperature (like 200?) and probe the chops. Probably smoke to around 110-115 IT then a quick sear. I would go oak on the lamb. Same amount you'd use for steak. They are not going to be in the smoker very long, so split your wood into smaller pieces. In the future for smoking, you might look for a whole rack of lamb. It would be easier to smoke, sear whole, and could be sliced into individual chops after smoking. Kind of the equivalent of a prime rib vs. individual bone-in ribeye.

Thanks Kari and Bob.  I want to wait until my Irish neighbor can come for dinner so it won't be this week.  I'll post the results.  Also, Kari, I plan to go by your post for salmon tomorrow night, except for the rub.  Approximately how long for the temp. to get to 135?  The salmon weighs 12 3/8 oz, and I've cut a 2 oz. chunk of cherry in 3 pieces.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 05:53:39 PM »
Also, Kari, I plan to go by your post for salmon tomorrow night, except for the rub.  Approximately how long for the temp. to get to 135?  The salmon weighs 12 3/8 oz, and I've cut a 2 oz. chunk of cherry in 3 pieces.

I'm thinking it takes less than 2 hours to get to 135...more or less. It goes relatively quick. Depends on the thickness. I try to get a probe in the thickest part, then don't pay much attention to time since I'm usually doing it far enough ahead.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide