Author Topic: Finally! These ribs were smoking!  (Read 4482 times)

SmokinSusie-Q

Finally! These ribs were smoking!
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
I have smoked St. Louis or spare ribs on 3 different occasions, and none of the results were great.  But yesterday, I smoked baby back ribs for the first time using DM's detailed outline from this website.  The result was perfection, at least in my mind.  Here are the details and pictures.

The 2.8 lb rack was slathered with mustard and my homemade rub and placed in the frig overnight until an hour before being placed in the smoker (2D).  I cut the slab in half to fit the top shelf of the smoker.  I used 2 1/4 oz. cherry cut in half and a water pan to ready the smoker.  After the ribs were placed in the smoker at 1:30pm, I set the temp. at 235 and the time for 6 hrs. and turned the smoker on.  At 4 hrs., I checked the ribs, and observed that probably 1/4 inch of bone was showing and the toothpick test also indicated that the ribs were ready or close to it.  I decided to let them smoke  a little longer.  At 6:15, I checked again, bent the ribs easily, and cut the smoker off.  The result was truly rewarding after 3 just OK previous outcomes.  Maybe it's the difference between baby backs and the spare ribs.  These were certainly meatier, tastier, and had just enough smoke.

Sue
Cedar Point, NC

EFGM

Re: Finally! These ribs were smoking!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:49:33 AM »
Awesome! You deliver right?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

ibbones

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »
I have yet to do ribs on this smoker but that looks really good.  Doing chicken today but there is always tomorrow.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
Looks mighty tasty Sue!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

drains

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
Perfection! :P
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

Grampy

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:52:47 PM »
Congratulations Sue! Those ribs look great. Your original time of 6 hours was probably a little long for Baby Backs. Most here use the 5 hour mark as a guide and do exactly what you did, check them early and see where they are at, and go from there. 6-7 hours is closer to what St. Louis cut spare ribs would go for. You also learned another valuable lesson. Everyone has a different preference on how they like their ribs and what type they like the best. For me, I personally prefer the St. Louis cut spare ribs but it looks like your preference may be for Baby Backs. Nothing wrong with that. Good job.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
Congratulations Sue! Those ribs look great. Your original time of 6 hours was probably a little long for Baby Backs. Most here use the 5 hour mark as a guide and do exactly what you did, check them early and see where they are at, and go from there. 6-7 hours is closer to what St. Louis cut spare ribs would go for. You also learned another valuable lesson. Everyone has a different preference on how they like their ribs and what type they like the best. For me, I personally prefer the St. Louis cut spare ribs but it looks like your preference may be for Baby Backs. Nothing wrong with that. Good job.

Up until now, I've always "ordered" St. Louis ribs at the rib restaurants because I thought they tasted better.  But my personal experience with smoking has changed my mind.  Maybe I'll try St. Louis again from a different source.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

Glock_21

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:31:24 PM »

I'm not a huge rib eater.  I have found that I get better results with baby backs.  St Louis style would be second.

Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »
That's what I'm talking about, Sue!!  Nice job!!  Baby backs, imo, smoke easier than spares, and the results are better.  I love both, but lean toward back ribs for the most meat and tenderness.  Glad to hear the "guide" helped! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 07:38:23 PM »
Fine looking ribs Sue!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »
I too prefer the baby backs, even though the so-called "pros" and competition BBQers lean toward the St Louis spares. I've done both so many times, and keep an open mind, yet I still prefer the baby backs hands-down! Sounds like you ended up at 4 hours 45 minutes at 235. Seems a little long to me at 235, but you never know with baby backs, they can vary in size and quality. I'm a 225 person for ribs and brisket. Sometimes I think the higher temps come from traditional BBQ methods, where it is more challenging to keep the temp at 225. When I used to smoke on my WSM, 225 was a bit of a challenge to maintain for extended cook times, but 235-250 was a breeze. I figure if I can finally maintain my ideal of 225 on the SI, I'm going to do it!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
I've tried 235 and 225 and prefer the results that I get when smoking at 225. It seems like only 10 degrees shouldn't really matter, but I have tried both several times and for me I prefer St Louis cut ribs smoked for 6.5-7.0 hours at 225.

Rib temp/times are pretty subjective. So, it is important to try a few methods to figure out what works best for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

AlinMA

• Al
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »
Rib temp/times are pretty subjective. So, it is important to try a few methods to figure out what works best for you.

+1
I strive for consistency....rack placement, Temp. etc and have found that individual racks of ribs themselves can impact the outcome.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:29:02 PM by DivotMaker »
Al from N'East MA
Smokin-It #1
Weber Spirit 310
Maverick 733, Igrill mini
Love my Rubs