Author Topic: You can pull me now or pull me later. What to do when serving tomorrow...  (Read 3411 times)

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
Simple question, and I'm sure it has been addressed but I could not find it.  Plus, I know how some of you guys LOVE to answer the same questions again and again.

Taking out a Butt in a few hours.   Not for mass consumption until tomorrow, but I think it will be a late breakfast for me. 
So, what is best?

A.  Pull bone and wrap in foil and reheat tomorrow?

B.  Wrap and rest then pull and wrap and cool?

C.  It doesn't matter because either way it's going to be fantastic?

D.  Just start eating it and whatever is left I can give to the guests tomorrow?

BTW, the subject is a veiled reference to the Fram oil filters commercial from the 70's.  Anybody remember it?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1yDpfZI8Q

Thanks.

Gordon

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 10:02:46 AM by G man »
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

ibbones

Re: You can pull me now or pull me later. What to do when serving tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:58:53 AM »
Gordon, I would go with C.  Followed by B.  It'll be good no matter what.  But for "me" I would let it rest, pull it, and stick it in smaller package's and into the refer until tomorrow.  Them toss it into a crock pot with a splash of juice, sauce, apple cider vinegar,...just to give it a bit more moister.
Good luck with it.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »
That's a great question. I think it's been answered, but buried within numerous other posts. So this puts it all in one place. If you are not using it until the next day, I would leave it whole. I would wrap and rest a couple hours, leave the bone in. Then if you want a snack for today, pull a little piece off, rewrap the remaining hunk and put it in the refrigerator. Then reheat in a crock pot or a low oven with some apple juice. I prefer to pull right before serving. But if you want to do it a little sooner, that would not be the end of the world. I think you will find a few opinions on this one.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
I've tried about every method you can think of, when it comes to keeping/reheating butts, and have found (what I think) works best:

1.  Take it out, when done, double-wrap in HD foil, as usual.

2.  Rest for 1-2 hours in the cooler, covered with towels.

3.  Remove from cooler, and while still wrapped in foil, seal inside a FoodSaver bag.  Fill the kitchen sink with ice water, and drop the sealed butt in there for a quick cool down (because it's still really hot).  This prevents spoiling everything in your fridge, by not putting a 190° butt in there, and will definitely keep your better half happier!

4.  When I get ready to reheat, I take it out of the vac bag, and put the wrapped butt in the crock pot on low.  I give it 3-4 hours. 

5.  When you unwrap it for pulling, it's just like the day it was smoked, and plenty juicy!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

G man

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
thanks to all....

I should have put another answer up....

E.  Just eat it and cook another one for tomorrow....Labor day sale .89 a pound in STL. 

Gordo

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 02:54:15 PM »
thanks to all....

I should have put another answer up....

E.  Just eat it and cook another one for tomorrow....Labor day sale .89 a pound in STL.

Bazinga!!  At that price, option E is definitely the right answer!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
A.  Double or triple wrap in foil dont pull bone.

B.  Yes, See A.

C.  See A

D.  NO, It needs a rest, I do at least 3 hours and its still flick your finger HOT.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
Gotta say I'm a +1 For Option E.  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

G man

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »
Option E it is.....In the number two again.  Good thing, as 90% of today's is already gone. 
Gordo

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:03:36 AM »
I've tried about every method you can think of, when it comes to keeping/reheating butts, and have found (what I think) works best:

1.  Take it out, when done, double-wrap in HD foil, as usual.

2.  Rest for 1-2 hours in the cooler, covered with towels.

3.  Remove from cooler, and while still wrapped in foil, seal inside a FoodSaver bag.  Fill the kitchen sink with ice water, and drop the sealed butt in there for a quick cool down (because it's still really hot).  This prevents spoiling everything in your fridge, by not putting a 190° butt in there, and will definitely keep your better half happier!

4.  When I get ready to reheat, I take it out of the vac bag, and put the wrapped butt in the crock pot on low.  I give it 3-4 hours. 

5.  When you unwrap it for pulling, it's just like the day it was smoked, and plenty juicy!

The ice bath is an awesome idea to get the meat quickly cooled down before putting into the fridge. I will be doing this going forward.

I prefer to pull mine right away primarily so I don't have to mess with it when it is time to reheat. This is purely a convenience thing and nothing to do with my method is better than yours thing.

I divide and package a lot of my pulled pork in smaller packages to make for easy meals down the road and I don't want to have to mess with pulling the meat when I am looking for a quick meal. As mentioned previously, I either simmer the bag in simmering water for 15-20 minutes or add to a crockpot (primarily for larger bags) with a 1/4 cup of juice.

I haven't noticed ANY lack of moisture or decline in taste by doing it this way. As with many others, the reheated smoked meat often times tastes better than when it was originally smoked.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
Gregg, one reason I like to pull after reheating - especially cooking for others - is the show!  When folks get to watch that butt get unwrapped, and the aroma of fresh-pulled pork hits them, it's the best!!  Really whets the appetite!  They know it's the "real deal" BBQ when they get to watch it being pulled!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 01:23:04 AM »
Gregg, one reason I like to pull after reheating - especially cooking for others - is the show!  When folks get to watch that butt get unwrapped, and the aroma of fresh-pulled pork hits them, it's the best!!  Really whets the appetite!  They know it's the "real deal" BBQ when they get to watch it being pulled!

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind for those occasions. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
I'm going to smoke 3 or 4 butts for our Driver Appreciation Week, next Friday.  I plan to use my wrapped/reheat/pull onsite technique...I'll let you know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas