Author Topic: Other than "the claws" - what tools to use for easy shredding of pork butt?  (Read 7442 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
I think Kari makes the best point that desired texture dictates method. I like large chunks of melt in your mouth pork so I start with a couple forks just to break it apart and then go in with the hands.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

EFGM

I don't do pork butt's often but when I do...
Seriously, not a big butt person but when I did 4 for a church meal and was worried about them holding temp for safety I used this.
Double wrapped and put inside Cambro and right after service I went out to my truck where I kept them with a clean 5 gallon bucket, and a variable speed drill motor. You can run it full speed for sure but I quickly shredded 4 butts and put in full size pans with lid and served a hot meal. Available at Home Depot for Cheap!

A correction here.. you CAN'T run it at full speed for sure...

Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Seriously, not a big butt person but when I did 4 for a church meal and was worried about them holding temp for safety I used this.
Double wrapped and put inside Cambro and right after service I went out to my truck where I kept them with a clean 5 gallon bucket, and a variable speed drill motor. You can run it full speed for sure but I quickly shredded 4 butts and put in full size pans with lid and served a hot meal. Available at Home Depot for Cheap!

A correction here.. you CAN'T run it at full speed for sure...

Awww!  THAT'S no fun!  Bet you could, if you wear a rubber suit and goggles! ;) Might look like a Gallagher show, though! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

G man

• Gordon Radford Photography
Tools for pulling?  Whatever works.....

Personally, I"ve never found it tedious or difficult to pull the pork.  Takes literally a minute with claws. 
Gordo
50 Miles West of St. Louis, Misery
#2,  and Master Forge Big Green Vertical Charcoal Smoker, (it is now for sale!)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Or the claws I was born with at the end of my arms!
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

lbnaz

I use this very Same Stirrer to Mix up the Meat and Seasonings for Sausage (Polish and Itailian). Beats the hell out of mixing by hand.
Larry
Corning,NY
SI #3 with Heatermeter
Wilmington Grill Cape Fear