Author Topic: Other than "the claws" - what tools to use for easy shredding of pork butt?  (Read 7443 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
Don't have the claws yet  ::); my first butt, I used two large serving forks and then tried two dinner forks.  Was very difficult and literally took 1/2 hour to shred a 5 pounder.  Is there something better till I get the claws?  Thank you.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
I just use my two hands, cave-man style! Wearing heat-proof silicone gloves of course. I can shred a whole butt in a few minutes. But I like my shredded pork clumpy. Some people like their butt very finely shredded, so you might need tools for that if that is your preference. If it took you 1/2 hour to shred with claws, you might be being too fussy about the shreds. They don't have to be perfect.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:52:25 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Glock_21

+1 on the insulated gloves.  I tried the claws once, went back to the gloves and haven't used the claws since.
Travis from North Central Oklahoma
SI #3 with Bella Smoke Generator, Traeger Texas Grill, Kamado Joe Classic 3 and Joe Jr, Anova WiFi 900 watt

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Hands, two forks to get it fine.

Takes awhile but a labor of fine pork!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
I use bear claws, but it actually takes awhile to get the technique of using them right down!  I use kind of a sideways pull & rip method, which works great.  Before I had them, I used two meat forks, and my hands.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

prudentsmoker

I use a thing like the Porkinator, but it was much less money. It fits into a drill and shreds a butt in around 10 seconds. Works great when you have a lot to shred.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

I use a thing like the Porkinator, but it was much less money.

Details, please! ;)   What is it, and where did you get it?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jjjonz

I have tried a lot of things,but I use my hands and a knife mostly.
Gadgets
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pork+puller

prudentsmoker

Sorry Tony, I could not find the link, but here it is now

http://www.porkpuller.com/

Brian from Wichita

EFGM

I don't do pork butt's often but when I do...
Seriously, not a big butt person but when I did 4 for a church meal and was worried about them holding temp for safety I used this.
Double wrapped and put inside Cambro and right after service I went out to my truck where I kept them with a clean 5 gallon bucket, and a variable speed drill motor. You can run it full speed for sure but I quickly shredded 4 butts and put in full size pans with lid and served a hot meal. Available at Home Depot for Cheap! 
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Interesting, using power tools to cut a pig!   Poor piggie.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

Sorry Tony, I could not find the link, but here it is now

http://www.porkpuller.com/

Thanks Brian!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

I don't do pork butt's often but when I do...
Seriously, not a big butt person but when I did 4 for a church meal and was worried about them holding temp for safety I used this.
Double wrapped and put inside Cambro and right after service I went out to my truck where I kept them with a clean 5 gallon bucket, and a variable speed drill motor. You can run it full speed for sure but I quickly shredded 4 butts and put in full size pans with lid and served a hot meal. Available at Home Depot for Cheap!

A paint stirrer!  Creative, you evil genius! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Red Home Smoker

Just clicked on the PorkPuller link!!!  Wow!!

Pricy but not sure I'll be able to stop myself from getting one of these gadgets.  Just a few seconds to pull.........looks like it guarantees hot pulled pork to serve immediately.  I use the bear claws and as fast as those work, I feel pretty rushed to get the pork pulled before the meat cools off.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

prudentsmoker

I know it is pricey, but at the time it was the cheapest one I could find. You might want to Google it to see if there are cheaper ones out there and share with the group. I have used it several times and really enjoy it.
Maybe Smokin-It should consider manufacturing and selling. It would be a piece of cake to reverse engineer.
Just a thought.
Brian from Wichita