Author Topic: Maple Bacon  (Read 3425 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Maple Bacon
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
I needed some more bacon so I used Pork Belly's basic bacon recipe for the rub. Dutifully turned the bellies for 7 days, rinsed and into the frig for 6 hours, and then into the smoker at 100 deg for 2 hours with 4 oz of maple. Then kicked the temp to 200 deg to and IT of 150. The result was great as usual. The bellies were a little thinner than I would normally want but it was what I could get at the time. I will be watching Costco to see if I can find better bellies for another batch. Overall though I can get consistent results with this recipe and I haven't had store bought in years.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Maple Bacon
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:01:39 PM »
I just realized we are totally out of homemade bacon...
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:27:29 AM »
I totally understand! That is what motivated me to do some even though I couldn't find the bellies I wanted. These were thinner than I like but they still make good bacon.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
You are right, Costco has the best bellies I've seen. Around 10 pounds. And good thickness. Skinless though. I prefer smoking with skinless for bacon.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Skins are easy to remove. I would take skinless though, if I could find them. They would be easier to process.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »
That looks fantastic, Bob!  You have me craving bacon & eggs!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 01:54:03 AM »
Skins are easy to remove. I would take skinless though, if I could find them. They would be easier to process.

I am fortunate to have 2 good local sources for pork belly, so I can get skinless or skin-on. I prefer skin-on when I make braised pork belly for Momofuku's pork belly buns. The skin just melts in your mouth after braising.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
Keri, totally agree when braised..... When smoked, however, it turn to leather. I think I may try adding the smoked skins to beans for flavor though. I am pretty sure it will stay tough after the smoke treatment so I'll just pull the skin out when beans are done.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SconnieQ

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »
I've seen recipes where people smoke bacon with skin on, then remove the skin after smoking. I want the smoke all around my slice of bacon, so I'd rather remove it before smoking. I like the idea of smoking the leftover skin though, and adding to beans for flavor. You might have to remove large pieces of skin if it doesn't soften up, but you could also try dicing up really fine. When it is nice and soft, it IS delicious.
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
I want the smoke all around my slice of bacon, so I'd rather remove it before smoking.

Do what you think is best but:
Smoke goes through the skin, you wont have one sided tasting food.
The skin will come off easier and with less waste when hot than raw.
The smoked skin can be placed in beans or cut into strips for dog treats.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud