Author Topic: Injecting pork shoulder prior to smoking  (Read 5922 times)

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
Injecting pork shoulder prior to smoking
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
Just looking for some thoughts/ comments on injecting a pork shoulder. Came across a recipe that calls for injecting w/ some butter creole sauce, BBQ sauce and a tad of liquid smoke & coat w/ rub ~12 hrs. prior to smoke.  Kind of thought it was odd that the liquid smoke should be used but got to thinking that maybe w/ such a dense/ large hunk of meat perhaps it was of benefit?? I've a PB thawed and ready for the smoker tomorrow a.m. 

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Injecting pork shoulder prior to smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:16 PM »
I have never injected meat, whether smoking, rotissering, grilling or roasting in the oven. Actually, I have never given it much thought before now.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

viticulture

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:19 PM »
Well I'm giving it a try w/ this pork shoulder. Used 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, 1/4 cup butter creole and 1 tbls liquid smoke. Got it all injected and wrapped up and in the fridge. It'll go in the smoker tomorrow at 5a. Using 3 oz total of hickory and apple. Planning on using a spray bottle w/ apple juice made from concentrate (on the strong side) at ~ the 4 hr. mark and then every hour after. Might wrap in foil at ~ 160* and let it go until ~ 200* then put in a cooler for an hour or so. Looking fwd to pulled pork sammies tomorrow eve.

viticulture

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »
The pork shoulder turned out great! Along w/ the overnight marinade from injecting it, I gave it a good rub (same as a typical pork rib rub) also & cooked at 225* until it hit 160* then ended up foiling it & adding a splash of apple juice when it hit the IT 160* mark. Continued to cook it at 225* and removed it from of smoker when it hit an IT 202* and wrapped it up in towels and put it in an ice chest for ~45 mins. Turned out extremely juicy and even though I foiled it, it had plenty of chewy bark. Pulled it apart and added just a touch of BBQ sauce and had it on some sandwich rolls. The 5.5 lb shoulder took 11+ hrs. including 45 min rest at the end.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:27:31 PM by BHamel »

JanPrimus

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
I often inject my pork with a mix of Bacon fat cut with a little apple cider vinegar.