Author Topic: Super Big St Louis  (Read 3267 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Super Big St Louis
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
These smithfields were on sale last week and this monster was $11.   I'd rather do the full trimmed without the end bones, but oh well.

7 1/2 hours and the thick side was honey and brown sugar wrapped for 2 hours in the middle.

Oakridge rub and coffee rub on the wifes side.   BBQ sauced for the last hour only

Pork machine came though again! and leftovers on the gasser for the weekend.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Super Big St Louis
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:40 PM »
John, those look mighty fine. I can't find Smithfield around here but the result looks delicious.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
Porkalicious, John!! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »
Is Smithfield a good brand? That's what I bought at the grocery store last time (back ribs), and they turned out a little dry. Maybe I just overcooked them and want to blame it on the meat! :o
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

drains

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 03:57:33 PM »
Great looking ribs! Lots of Smithfield products around here.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
Is Smithfield a good brand? That's what I bought at the grocery store last time (back ribs), and they turned out a little dry. Maybe I just overcooked them and want to blame it on the meat! :o

Same here.  I have better results with the IBP brand from Sam's.  Maybe it's a supplier thing, for different regions.  I've heard people rave about them, and curse them.  Like anything, folks have to find what works the best in their area.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
Personally I think smithfields are over injected.  I'd much prefer to get a slab from a butcher shop that is not messed with.

This slab cut in 1/2 was 7 1/2 hours total cook!  No where near dry.

I'm not a box store shopper, so I cannot attest.   As far as "store" brands, I have found that trimmed st louis from Target are pretty darn good and meaty.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA