Author Topic: Ribs and using mustard, needed or not?  (Read 7322 times)

Kutch98

Ribs and using mustard, needed or not?
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
So my fiance SWEARS she can taste the mustard on the ribs after cooking.  I told her she's just crazy and its all in her head.  But, to put her at ease, I told her the next set I make I wouldn't use mustard and would just cover them with adobo seasoning. She said she wanted sweet ribs, not the usual BBQ rubs Ive been using.

So my questions are:
1) Has anybody NOT used the mustard on their ribs when making them? How did they turn out? I cant imagine it would ruin them, just helps to hold the rub on.
2) Anybody used adobo seasoning when smoking ribs? How did those taste? Shes used it in several dishes shes made and I like it.
3) Recommendations for making them sweet tasting? Her fav BBQ Sauce is KC Masterpiece Original if that helps any.  I recently found a 4 bottle pack of Hienz, I think, 8oz bottles of KC, Memphis, Carolina, and Texas style sauces.  Carolina was her least favorite, so nothing tangy.   
Jake, Alamogordo, NM/Effingham, IL
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Ribs and using mustard, needed or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
You can just rub the ribs with oil, then apply the rub. I have done it many times, and the rub sticks fine. I only use mustard on butts, and you can use oil on those too. And the oil brings out the flavors in some of the spices.

I don't see any reason Adobo wouldn't taste great on ribs. Adobo can vary in the combination of spices, but basically it is sweet paprika, black pepper, onion powder, dried oregano, ground cumin, chipotle chile powder, and garlic powder. All of which are commonly used in pork rubs. In fact, I make my own rub, and it uses all of those, except I use Ancho chile powder instead of the chipotle.

If she likes a sweet tasting sauce, you might want to try "Bone Suckin Sauce". If it's too sweet for her straight up, you can always mix in a little vinegar, or add a little of some other sauce. I personally use it to mix with other sauces to balance everything out. It doesn't have any smoke flavor, which I appreciate. I'm not a big fan of using a lot sauce. Only as a "condiment" and never on brisket, just a light coating on ribs, and very little, or none on pulled pork. And I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a sauce with smoke flavor added (or add liquid smoke to their homemade recipe). I want to taste the smoke/wood choice from my SI. It's hard to find store-bought sauces without smoke flavor.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »
You could even use Honey or Maple Syrup as the binder. I think I have seen some posts here that have tried it with good results.

Personally, I use Mustard rub for everything except for poultry for which I use oil. But, oil is a very acceptable substitute for those that "think" they can taste the mustard. ;) It would be much preferred than to just add the rub to the meat without a binder. The binder is what helps create the bark.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
Jake, first of all you need to learn that your fiance is always right....  ;) My wife is a "saucer" and I always do one with bbq sauce and a dry version for me when I do ribs. That way everyone is happy!  :D I personally can't tell the difference between mustard or oil as a binder. They both work well so no worries.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
I use Black Molasses on my ribs instead of mustard or oil. Give that a try one time. or two, or three only if you like it!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:46 PM »
Jake, I know that mustard does not effect the finished taste, but if she thinks it does, that's what counts! ;)   Yes, there are many other "binders" you can use...EVOO, maple syrup (the pure stuff, not Mrs Buttersworth), molasses (which will impart a flavor).  The idea is find something thick enough to make the rub "stick" to the meat.  If you rub simply wet meat, it will not stick, and you'll end up with bare spots that don't have good bark.  The binder is the key to good bark. 

Try some of the variants that have been suggested, and see what she thinks!  Half the fun of our obsession, uh, "hobby," is experimentation to find what works for you, not for everyone else!  Good luck in your constant endeavor to find Q-Nirvana, my friend! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Kutch98

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:39:26 PM »
Thank you everybody!  The honey sounds great with some bbq rub. I think for the adobo we are going with oil.  I'll post updates over time as I try these. 
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »
Please do, Jake!  Of course, you'll have to smoke more meat, in the name of science, until you find your combination!  (That's what I tell my wife, at least ;) ;D ;D ).
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

TexasSMK

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 06:04:21 AM »
I use Black Molasses on my ribs instead of mustard or oil. Give that a try one time. or two, or three only if you like it!
  Molasses--hmmm, going to try that tomorrow.  Thanks for the idea!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Kutch98

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:18 AM »
I have some ribs in the fridge now that Im going to smoke this weekend.  Looking forward to trying this oil and adobo seasoning. 
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married

Durangosmoker

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »
I've used mayonnaise as a binder, too.  It is pretty neutral tasting.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Walt

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:46:22 PM »
The binder I use most often is a 50%-50% mix of mustard & Steens cane syrup.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
I've used mayonnaise as a binder, too.  It is pretty neutral tasting.

:o :o :o ... ;D   (Inside joke...most are familiar with my down-to-the-core hatred of mayo).  Sorry...couldn't resist! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Durangosmoker

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 11:09:16 AM »
Tony,
It must be a California thing (which I know is where you grew up): When I was an undergrad in California, a friend of mine used to use pickle relish when she made tuna salad, and my sister-in-law, who hails from Santa Barbara, also has a hatred of mayonnaise. My brother has to sneak out to a coffee shop to get a BLT with mayo!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Kutch98

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 09:25:07 PM »
Fiancé decided on molasses for a binder.  Started a new thread with that. Please don't let this stop the convo though, I'm loving the ideas for different binders. 
SI #2
Anova Precision Cooker.
Blackstone 28” griddle
Pit Boss Lexington 500
USAF 04-present
Married