Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs - Step-by-Step, with How to Time Your Cook  (Read 86349 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Baby Back Ribs - Step-by-Step, with How to Time Your Cook
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 07:13:54 PM »
Hello tony nice detail on ribs! Do the ribs come out falling off the bone?
I am still some what new to smoking and find my self scratching my head
At times. All my family and friends like falling off the bone ribs and some
Times they don't come out like that. Any suggestions?

John, I'm certainly not an authority on this subject but I read a report from an authority who said you don't want falling off the bone ribs.  People use that phrase often but if they're falling off the bone, then they're overdone.  if I'm wrong, someone will correct me I'm sure.

Personal preference! I like mine more in the direction of falling off the bone. I've never had a complaint with fall off the bone. Competition BBQ tends to like to have some "chew", should not "fall off" the bone, make a nice, clean "bite pattern" in the meat, but still be tender and juicy.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 12:10:33 AM »
I like mine to be chewy, but yet leave a clean bone. For me they are overdone if I pick up the rack and the ribs fall apart. If you truly want fall off the bone, you may have to use the dreaded foil.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »
I like mine to be chewy, but yet leave a clean bone. For me they are overdone if I pick up the rack and the ribs fall apart. If you truly want fall off the bone, you may have to use the dreaded foil.

+1. When I cut my ribs apart, I don't want the bones to just "fall out". I agree that is overdone. The meat needs to stay attached to the bone, until I bite it off. I do like the meat pretty tender though.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

JackT

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 01:22:45 PM »

+1. When I cut my ribs apart, I don't want the bones to just "fall out". I agree that is overdone. The meat needs to stay attached to the bone, until I bite it off. I do like the meat pretty tender though.

Couldn't agree more, the racks are supposed to hold together. Have participated in rib cook-offs many times, and if the rack falls apart when you grab it with your pinchers, you are disqualified. Does that mean that those ribs don't taste good? Of course it doesn't, it just means that you've overcooked them. It's easy to do. When I'm cooking for my friends and family at home, I'd always rather my ribs be perfect, but I'd rather have them a bit overdone than underdone. It's a pork thing with me, never undercook it.
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 03:19:32 PM »
Hello tony nice detail on ribs! Do the ribs come out falling off the bone?
I am still some what new to smoking and find my self scratching my head
At times. All my family and friends like falling off the bone ribs and some
Times they don't come out like that. Any suggestions?

John, I'm certainly not an authority on this subject but I read a report from an authority who said you don't want falling off the bone ribs.  People use that phrase often but if they're falling off the bone, then they're overdone.  if I'm wrong, someone will correct me I'm sure.

I think the term "fall off the bone" is a little confusing.  When I use it, I don't mean pick up the rack and the meat falls off the bone; I agree with everyone that is over-cooked.  What I mean by it is that the meat pulls from the bone clean, and leaves a clean bone.  Nothing worse, to me, than under-cooked ribs where the meat sticks to the bone, and has to be chewed off.  That meat's usually tough, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Dead👁Daniel

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
I wasn't meaning to pick up and all fall apart but a clean bone.
As some times I get and some times I don't.
Last week I did 3 BBR for my first smoke on new 3D and they came
Out great!!!!!! And every buddy but 2 said they were great.
(Those 2 are gonna have to find a new place to eat! Lol)
As for the new 3D wow do I love it! It's a piece of art.
and my mes30 I will still use for shorter time smokes.
I will from now on use the term clean bone.
Thanks!
John ohio locomotive engineer
Mes30
Smokin it 3D
Thermopop
Thermoworks dot

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 05:12:30 PM »

Couldn't agree more, the racks are supposed to hold together. Have participated in rib cook-offs many times, and if the rack falls apart when you grab it with your pinchers, you are disqualified. Does that mean that those ribs don't taste good? Of course it doesn't, it just means that you've overcooked them. It's easy to do. When I'm cooking for my friends and family at home, I'd always rather my ribs be perfect, but I'd rather have them a bit overdone than underdone. It's a pork thing with me, never undercook it.

Jack, I'm interested in your smoking resume!  Share some of your experience. Also what  is your rotisserie smoker and how does it compare to your 3D?
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »
Use your MB for side dishes. I still use my other smokers for side dishes occasionally while the #3 smokes the main course.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

JackT

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »

Jack, I'm interested in your smoking resume!  Share some of your experience. Also what  is your rotisserie smoker and how does it compare to your 3D?

Sue, my smoking resume is probably exceeded only by my grilling and beer drinking resume. Since I was a kid, my Dad used me as his apprentice for his BBQ's and it just stuck. Hell of a nice hobby to get introduced to when you're a kid. As for my "rotisserie cooker", it's a custom-made trailer that was designed  with the gears from a John Deere hayraker and built into a Butler mfg. fuel tank. It's got both a firebox and a thermostatically driven propane blower to fire up the wood. You don't really use the propane to cook, but it's nice to get your wood up and going. Don't use it as often as I'd like, but wouldn't get rid of it for the times that I do. Now you got me thinking about pulling it out of the pole barn and getting it cleaned up for spring. The 65 degrees outside helps that out too! Thanks for asking and Happy Smoking!
JackT
Prairie du Rocher, IL
Weber Performer
Weber Smokey Mountain
Custom Rib Grill
Custom Rotisserie Smoker Trailer
SI 3D

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »

Sue, my smoking resume is probably exceeded only by my grilling and beer drinking resume. Since I was a kid, my Dad used me as his apprentice for his BBQ's and it just stuck. Hell of a nice hobby to get introduced to when you're a kid. As for my "rotisserie cooker", it's a custom-made trailer that was designed  with the gears from a John Deere hayraker and built into a Butler mfg. fuel tank. It's got both a firebox and a thermostatically driven propane blower to fire up the wood. You don't really use the propane to cook, but it's nice to get your wood up and going. Don't use it as often as I'd like, but wouldn't get rid of it for the times that I do. Now you got me thinking about pulling it out of the pole barn and getting it cleaned up for spring. The 65 degrees outside helps that out too! Thanks for asking and Happy Smoking!

Next time you use your rotisserie cooker, please post the entire process.  I saw an episode of "Project Smoke" on tv recently, and a rotisserie smoker was used to smoke a rather large piece of meat.  I can't recall what it was. 
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »
Ok SmokinSusie-Q and the gang, an update on latest smoked ribs.
Last time...as you recall...the ribs were over cooked using the method in these posts.  Fast forward to Costco's ribs, ahhh, much better, where's the meat? it's on Costco's ribs that's where.  Last time I used Sam's Club ribs, a lot less meat on those boys!  No wonder they over cooked at 235 for 4 hours.  This time, 6 slabs of Costco bad boys at 225 for 2.5 hours, pulled, foiled with KC Masterpiece all over them and cooked another 2.5 hours, WOW,what a huge difference!!  The meat makes the difference!  No more Sam's ribs for us!
I used 2oz of sugar maple and 1oz hickory..Smokinlicious wood..brined for 18 hours, helps with moisture retention!  Used famous dave's rub lightly and wrapped with plastic wrap in the frig overnight.  awesome results.  If you have a D model, the meat should be 2" or more away. from the probe and if foiled meat, same thing, keeps the temp from going crazy..just an update, the kids took most of the ribs and pulled pork home with them, I guess they liked it ;-))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:21:29 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
Guess it helps to live within spittin' distance of Sam's HQ, Carl!  The ribs I get here are the meatiest I've ever had!  Cool you have a Costco - that'll never happen in my neighborhood! (WalMart/Sam's won't let it)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »
I'm fortunate to have both Costco and Sam's and they both have high quality ribs that are no better than the other.

For me, I have found that I get better results smoking my ribs at 225 verses the 235 that so many people here use.

The only thing I prefer Sam's for is their Boston Butts since Costco only has boneless butts. Otherwise they both have very good meat departments.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

es1025

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »
For removing the membrane, use a butter knife, slow and steady will get the job done in one shot.

My babies take about 4 3/4 to 5 hours @ 235. I also let rest for an hour.  I have gone as long as 3 hours and they were still great.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
Ok SmokinSusie-Q and the gang, an update on latest smoked ribs.
Last time...as you recall...the ribs were over cooked using the method in these posts.  Fast forward to Costco's ribs, ahhh, much better, where's the meat? it's on Costco's ribs that's where.  Last time I used Sam's Club ribs, a lot less meat on those boys!  No wonder they over cooked at 235 for 4 hours.  This time, 6 slabs of Costco bad boys at 225 for 2.5 hours, pulled, foiled with KC Masterpiece all over them and cooked another 2.5 hours, WOW,what a huge difference!!  The meat makes the difference!  No more Sam's ribs for us!
I used 2oz of sugar maple and 1oz hickory..Smokinlicious wood..brined for 18 hours, helps with moisture retention!  Used famous dave's rub lightly and wrapped with plastic wrap in the frig overnight.  awesome results.  If you have a D model, the meat should be 2" or more away. from the probe and if foiled meat, same thing, keeps the temp from going crazy..just an update, the kids took most of the ribs and pulled pork home with them, I guess they liked it ;-))

Carl, sorry I'm late in ready your message. Our computer has been down for 2 weeks! 

Reading your info, which is very helpful, and those that followed yours, it just seems there are so many differing opinions on smoking ribs.  Maybe that's because ribs are one of the few things that can't be probed.  I will try Costco as soon as I get a chance to visit the one nearest me.  I do think the spare ribs I've bought locally have not been very meaty.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC