Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs - Step-by-Step, with How to Time Your Cook  (Read 86343 times)

TexasSMK

Re: Baby Back Ribs - Step-by-Step, with How to Time Your Cook
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2016, 09:19:39 AM »
Great post sir, thank you, and all the others who routinely contribute to this forum.  OutStanding
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
Thank you, Dale!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

CBAngel106

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what rub would you use after the mustard? One of the bottled meat rubs? Or is there a recipe here somewhere? I've only ever baked baby backs, low and slow and am so intimidated by smoking them, for some reason. My uncle bought me the rib racks for Christmas, but it seems like everyone here just uses the regular racks? Intimidated newbie here...  :-[
Chrissy
Chrissy, newbie smoker from Northern California

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 12:29:46 AM »
Chrissy, once you get your smoke routine down you will never go back to backed. I believe that Tony likes Famous Dave's Rib Rub. Personally, I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub with a little added brown sugar.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

JustChillin

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »
Chrissy, I have followed Tony's guidelines for cooking ribs twice in my new smoker and they came out perfect both times. I personally just make up a rub using black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and brown sugar. Good luck with the ribs.
David from Roswell,GA. My tools currently include the SI #2 with an Auber, Grill Dome, Solaire 27", Holland Grill (Companion) & Weber (Smokey Joe). The Companion & SJ are primarily used for tailgating.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
If you do not already have a favorite rub to use, the Famous Dave's Rib Rub is a great one to start with and should be available in many if not most of your grocery and big box stores like Walmart and Target. I always have at least a bottle or two of this on-hand.

My personal favorite and go-to for all things pork is Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ. Walton's Inc is the best place that I have seen that carries this seasoning. They sell it in a 1.63lb Shaker, a 6.5 oz bottle, or in a 5lb bulk package which is how I buy it.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »
Chrissy, I like Famous Dave's Rib Rub best, but like Dave, Bad Byron's Butt Rub is a great alternative, for off-the-shelf rubs.  I can no longer find Dave's rub locally anymore, but I order a 6-bottle pack from Amazon...works out to be about $4/bottle.  It's a good mix of sweet and heat, I think.

If you need any other help, let us know!  We're here to make your learning curve as small as possible!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 01:25:01 PM »
Tony, I have a question for you.  You say that you put apple juice in a mini loaf foil container [I use the same container].  I have always used apple juice in my smoker, especially for baby back ribs.  I have used the #3 smoker on about four sets of baby backs, brisket and a few other meats.  I smoke everything at the 225 degree F level

I have yet to detect any vaporizing of the apple juice or water for that matter.  I fill the mini loaf pan to the top of the lip.  After 5 to 6 hours I have the same amount of apple juice in the mini loaf.  I have placed the mini loaf container in every conceivable location beside the fire box.  Have put it way in the back where it should be the hottest and up close to the door and in the middle [which is where I get the fastest smoulder of wood] and it makes no difference.

Fact is the vapor point or boiling point of apple juice is about 320 degrees F.  I don't believe that the #3, at least the one I have, will ever generate sufficient heat to cause apple juice to boil.  On the last occasion I put a container of apple juice and water in the back end of the smoker and also a container of apple juice and water in the middle of the #3.  I didn't lose any of the apple juice due to boiling and only a small amount of water.

Makes me wonder.
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!

TexasSMK

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Great post!
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Jumanji

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
Tony, I have a question for you.  You say that you put apple juice in a mini loaf foil container [I use the same container].  I have always used apple juice in my smoker, especially for baby back ribs.  I have used the #3 smoker on about four sets of baby backs, brisket and a few other meats.  I smoke everything at the 225 degree F level

I have yet to detect any vaporizing of the apple juice or water for that matter.  I fill the mini loaf pan to the top of the lip.  After 5 to 6 hours I have the same amount of apple juice in the mini loaf.  I have placed the mini loaf container in every conceivable location beside the fire box.  Have put it way in the back where it should be the hottest and up close to the door and in the middle [which is where I get the fastest smoulder of wood] and it makes no difference.

Fact is the vapor point or boiling point of apple juice is about 320 degrees F.  I don't believe that the #3, at least the one I have, will ever generate sufficient heat to cause apple juice to boil.  On the last occasion I put a container of apple juice and water in the back end of the smoker and also a container of apple juice and water in the middle of the #3.  I didn't lose any of the apple juice due to boiling and only a small amount of water.

Makes me wonder.

I also have the same thought regarding the apple juice.  I smoke ribs at 235 deg though - which is the P2 default temp - and have also noticed that the apple juice pan seems to still be at the same level after.  I've also microwaved the juice to get it really hot before pouring it into the pan, which is leaning against the wood box.  No difference.  That said, there is grease dripping in the smoker and could be that SOME juice is used and the volume replaced by grease.  But really looks to me that the apple juice in pan procedure is doing nothing other than wasting juice?  Anybody else? 
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »
I set my liquid pan on the lid of my wood box and get good evaporation on even short smokes like ribs.  I think that you are just not getting enough heat transfer sitting next to the box.

The water or apple juice doesn't have to boil to evaporate.  Think about a puddle in your yard during the summer. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:19:54 PM by SuperDave »

mudrat

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
For removing the membrane, use a butter knife, slow and steady will get the job done in one shot.

My babies take about 4 3/4 to 5 hours @ 235. I also let rest for an hour.  I have gone as long as 3 hours and they were still great.
  I've always had great success using paper towel to pull membrane off ribs.. acts like gripper.. also I've been getting by ribs from costco.. the membrane is already removed.. nice bonus

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Water is fine, just make sure the mini pan is sitting ALONG to the smoker box.   It will evaporate.

paper towel does wonders with membranes, funny how some (depending on where purchased) pull off easier than others!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

iamimdoc

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
In general I prefer just salt and pepper to season ribs with (ala Franklin's BBQ cook book suggestion).  I remove the membrane.  I smoke the ribs about 5-6 hours and they taste fine (doneness and taste wise) but they are still pretty greasy (compared to commercial restaurant ribs) and they have no bark and aren't nice and dark.  No water in smoker. Cook at top end of temp dial, meat side up. I have also tried rubbing with paprika before smoking, without benefit

Any suggestions as to how to lower the greasiness and to get bark with this minimalist rub?

Thanks

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
Any suggestions as to how to lower the greasiness and to get bark with this minimalist rub?
Baby backs tend to have a little more fat than say spares.  Try some St. Louis cut spares the next time and see if you prefer the texture to the baby backs.  On a skinless cut of meat like ribs, bark is all from the rub and caramelized sugars.  With light rub and no sugar it will be very difficult to generate a bark.