Author Topic: First spare ribs in #3  (Read 8109 times)

IRGoode

First spare ribs in #3
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:25 PM »
I'm going with whole spare ribs and not cutting it down to St Louis style. I have always done 3-2-1 with these in other smokers. I am going to take what most folks are saying on this forum as gospel and try the no peek method. One reason I decided to try this method first is because I plan to be deer hunting tomorrow afternoon and it would really be nice to just put them in the SI, go hunting, and come home and eat. So here is the plan. 235 for 5 hours with 2.5 oz hickory 1 oz Apple. I seasoned it a while ago and in the frig to get happy until 1 pm tomorrow. I used what is in the picture for the rub. Plan to use the toothpick method after 5 hours, providing I am back from hunting, to check for dodeness, then sauce and back in for 30 minutes. I will be using a water pan. If anyone sees a problem with this plan please let me know before 1pm tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: First spare ribs in #3
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:33:30 AM »
Sounds like a sound plan. I don't think it's necessary to cut whole spares down to St. Louis unless you want to for a specific reason. I like leaving them whole. I'm a big fan of the no-peek method for ribs. Good idea to go with the absolute easiest, and least fussy method for you first smoke as your benchmark. You can always fuss more with wrapping etc. later, and see if you like it better. I personally don't think wrapping part-way through is worth the trouble, and makes that big of difference, but some on this forum do. These smokers keep a really moist environment. Why open the door? I also don't sauce and put back in the smoker (although I think most people here do). I like to keep the ribs just with the dry rub, then serve sauce on the side.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
Looks good, you might need 5 to 6 hours.   Spares can take longer depending on how you like them. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

smokeasaurus

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
This plan sounds like a winner and I also agree ya might need a bit more cooking time............
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:51:38 AM »
Hey Bob, that sounds just like I do them, here is an old post that I did on ribs http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3783.0
and comes with pictures.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

IRGoode

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Bill those ribs looked really good. Do you remember how long they took?
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
Good plan, Bob!  I don't cut my spares either (LOVE the tip meat!).  Spares usually take me 6-7 hours.  Longer than baby backs.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

IRGoode

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »
Ok here are the results. Seen no deer first off. The ribs took 5 hours and 45 minutes. Very tender. Don't think I will ever need to foil with this smoker. I did wrap in foil and rest for 30 minutes or so after taking them out of the smoker. The texture of the meat was perfect but a little salty for my taste. I think it was the Tony's that I mixed with the Famous Daves that mad them salty. I took your advice Kari and didn't sauce. I think I like them dry. I plan to repeat this exact procedure and skip the Tony's. Don't tell the wife. She thought these were good also but agreed they were a little salty. Thanks for all the help guys. I think if I can perfect the rub I will have perfect ribs!
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »
Excellent, Bob!  Yep, the Tony's will add saltiness.  Either go straight FDRR or Tony's next time, and see if you like it.  I don't find Dave's too salty at all.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

IRGoode

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
Thanks Tony. Will go with straight FDRR next smoke.
Bob from Waskom Tx
Smokin-it #3
I fish therefore I am!

elkins20

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »
Hey Bob, Most of my rib smokes are between 4.5 to 5 hrs. at 235 box temp. But, these have been in the summer time. I am doing a rib smoke tomorrow and will let you know the exact time. As will be using the #3 as do not want to cut the slab into. Also they are St. Louis style ribs that I had purchased from restaurant depot.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »
Bill, are they full spares, or already cut into SL ribs?  If they have the tips on, and aren't uniform length, they're full spares.  Plan on them going a little longer.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:08 PM »
Hey Tony I most always buy them at Sam's and are full spares. With the extra meat on the back and the tips on the one end. They are not uniform at all until I trim them. And my bag is about full of meat to smoke and cut up and package in 8 oz packages to use in bbq beans.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:29:06 AM by elkins20 »

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »
Gotcha, Bill.  I buy the same spare packs. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 11:05:12 AM »
Hey Bob, Smoked my ribs yesterday afternoon, in the smoker at 2:00pm and out at 6:15pm. They passed the toothpick test, but feel they could have gone maybe 30min. longer but was hungry.