Author Topic: Cheese with external smoke generator  (Read 10855 times)

Limey

Re: Cheese with external smoke generator
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »
Hi Walt,
You are exactly correct-the first Big Kahuna(BK) I installed using two cord hangers and this installation worked, and continues to work, very well. At that house my smokers and my grills are on the same level so if I want smoke in a grill I can simply route the pipe from the BK into the grill, leaving the BK attached to the SI. At my other house the grills and the SI are on separate levels so I built the stand for the BK so that I can easily carry it around. That having been said I am about to install the second BK using cord hangers since nearly all my smoking is in the SI and not my grills and it is quick and easy to detach the BK and put it in the stand if I need to use it with my grills. I really recommend the cord hanger installation. It is quick, easy and requires no drilling. Good luck with your BK-I think you will find it very useful. If I can help in any way let me know.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

TexasSMK

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »
Another item on the wish list :D  Do you have pictures/explanation for the cord hangar arrangement?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:55:35 PM by TexasSMK »
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

Limey

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
Dale it's very simple. Just attach one cord hanger to the right rear of the SI and use a large hose clamp to secure the external smoke generator to it. Then install a second cord hanger, upside down, on the side of the smoker to stabilize the tube coming from the smoke generator.
Pictures are in my post "Cold Smoking in a Hot Climate." This uses all original hardware and no drilling is required. I did replace the existing bolts with slightly longer ones with washers but don't think this is really necessary.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

TexasSMK

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
Thanks Roger
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
I borrowed Rogers idea for a stand for the Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna as an external smoke generator for my 3D.  Home Depot had the 5/8-7/8" hose to attach to the BK and I used aluminum strap 1 1/2" wide, drilled a 3/4" hole with a hole saw to attach the BK outlet and a standard water hose male adapter to attach the hose to the outlet.  I used JB weld to attach the strap to the bread pan.
It has been a challenge to keep the BK going and finally read about using lump charcoal and not just chips/pellets.
Anyone have more advice for keeping the BK smoking without having to relight it several times?  I think using alternate chips-pellets-charcoal will keep it going.

Carl 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 06:27:01 PM by kz0m »
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

Limey

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
Carl, I'm pretty sure that putting charcoal in with the chips will solve your problem. I use a brute force approach-light the Big Kahuna with a blowtorch, from the bottom obviously, and then leave the bottom and top caps off until I have a nice hot fire going. Add a few more chips, replace both caps, and only then plug in the aquarium aerator and start smoking. If the fire dies down at all then remove the bottom cap for a minute or two. Incidentally liked your big loops in the piping setup; these will work great to trap the smoke condensate.

wehill

• Walt
    • Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventure and Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
You can make your own smoke generator ... it isn't complicated.  I have built quite a few over the years.  The first one was a buried 55 gallon drum  :D.    Just find some junk square tubing, some expanded metal, couple of pieces of pipe, and a source of air and all you need is a little bit of use of a cutting torch and welder and you are ready to smoke till your heart's content.  :-*
Walt
http://cwuap.com/gallery-15.htm
Claire and Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography.
Oklahoma City

Boomer Sooner!