Author Topic: My feedback on St. Louis spare ribs (#2)  (Read 7297 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: My feedback on St. Louis spare ribs (#2)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »
The only cuts Ive brined before are brisket and whole or half chickens. Chickens turned out great using a salt and water brine. Brisket was another story....a pretty bad one but that had to do with cooking time. What are you using for a brine for pulled pork? I believe I had used Tony C's garlic and herb for the brisket

Funny you should ask.... ;)

Give this a try:  Brined Pork Butt for Pulled Pork.  Let me know what you think, should you try it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
St Louis cut ribs will almost always (I generally don't like to say always) take 1-2 hours longer than baby backs.

I have tried smoking at 235-240 and still think I get my best exults at 225.

My St Louis cut ribs take 7-8 hours for my liking. So I don't think you are that far off. And I like a little bit of chew on my ribs.

I buy my St Louis cut ribs at Costco and they are really think slabs that come in a three-pack.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 02:00:19 AM »
Hey Greg, I have been buying whole slabs, then cutting them down to ST. Louis style. I have a bag of the pieces that I cut off and when it gets pretty full will smoke them and keep it to add to baked beans.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »
Yep, that is an awesome option.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

hardpan

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 02:15:06 AM »
Hi,
I tend to smoke for about 6 hours, but I like my ribs a little more chewy than falling off of the bone.  As for rubs and marinades, I tend to go simple with salt, pepper, brown sugar. Or marinate in beer and sauce the last hour.  I set the smoker at 235. 

Your method looks and sounds good to me. THe main thing is that you like the results and that it is repeatable.
Hardpan
Hardpan

Mike from Livermore
Ranch outside of Fort McKavett tx