Author Topic: My feedback on St. Louis spare ribs (#2)  (Read 7298 times)

SpottedCow

My feedback on St. Louis spare ribs (#2)
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:02:04 PM »
So I have made a LOT of experimental runs in my #2 without the Auber for ribs.

I always use St. Louis cut but I may have to try baby backs at some point.

I have used the 3-2-1 method multiple times with very poor results (undercooked and grisly). I have followed the advice of some users who say that you should simply place the ribs on the rack and let them run 5-6 hours with a water pan. This method worked significantly better and produced much better results. However, I still found that quite a bit of fat failed to render out and they were not cooked long enough for me. I prefer ribs that can get as close to falling off the bone without it actually happening....if that makes sense.

Now is where I REALLY had good results. Ribs on the rack rubbed w/ famous daves or my own recipe. 2.5-4 oz of apple or hickory chips wrapped in foil with two very small holes poked (prevents belch and flareups). Water pan in the bottom. 7-9 hours in the smoker @ 235F. I have found that the unit holds moisture so well that you literally don't need to worry about dry meat, especially with ribs as fat continues to render. You can sauce at 7 hours if you're that type of guy. No wrapping required. Once again, I don't have the Auber so this can change my cooking time significantly compared to someone who does.

Just my feedback so far. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Does anyone else run ribs this long?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:16:28 PM by SpottedCow »
#2 Owner. Little chief for cold smoking. Avid bow hunter.

Spotted cow.....Wisconsin's favorite beer available nowhere else.

Carp210

Re: My feedback on St. Louis spare ribs (#2)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
Just one question for you.  Have you checked the inside of the smoker to make sure you are actually cooking at the temperature you think you are.  Best way is to use a Maverick or some other remote temp probe and compare those readings with the temp your smoker is set at.  It sound like you maybe cooking at a lower temp than you think.

One more question for you.  On Are you using a no peak method?  That 7 to 9 hrs seems really long.  I just checked my records and ribs usually take me, in my #2 at 235, anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hrs total.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:28:48 PM by Carp210 »
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

SpottedCow

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:25:56 PM »
+/- 10 degrees at any given point once it's up to temp according to my maverick. This has confused me for the longest time as I believe my temps are correct yet my cooking times seem to run longer than most people recommend.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
ANY rib recipe with a listed time is merely a guide and not a given.  If they aren't done, you don't pull them until they are done.  However, the times given as a guide are just that because most times they are very close to providing the kind of results that you are looking for.  Requiring 7 - 9 hours is unacceptable to me as far as unit performance and would indicate to me that my unit isn't producing the kind of heat that I'm setting the dial at.  If you tested the unit and found that it was actually producing an average 235, I'd really be shocked. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
Hey Spotted cow, would be nice to know your name??? I recently did 3 racks of ribs in my #3. I rubbed with mustard and John Henry's cherry/chipotle rub wrap with plastic wrap and in the fridge until ready to put on smoker around 12:00 the next afternoon. I like you used 235 degrees, also 2 oz cherry and 2 oz of oak, plus a water pan next to the smoke box. I did no peak and checked them at 4.5 hrs. they were done. I check by using a toothpick, insert between the bones if it goes in like a knife in warm butter and you can pull the meat up and down without breaking the pick they are done also you will see that they have pulled away from the bone end maybe a 1/4 of an inch. At this point you can sauce them and go another 30 min. or go ahead and pull them. I then wrap in 2 layers of foil and put in a cooler wrapped with towels for 30 min. to 1 hour. They are very good and not quite fall off the bone. Also I pull the membrane off the bone side and cook bone side down. Even the 2 racks of spare ribs that I have done in my #1 have also been done around the 5 hr. range. I do use a maverick and now have Aubers on both of my smokers. So I still monitor the box temp. Sorry for the long post, but next time I would suggest just doing the no peak rather than the 3 - 2 - 1 method and see what the results will be.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:39:05 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SpottedCow

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 12:43:36 PM »
Kevin's the name. From Wisconsin. I have checked with a Maverick and Taylor in the past and the with the ribs I have in as Im writing this. Running 238 on the Maverick and 230 on the Taylor and the smoker is set to 235. I also have a dial therm that sits inside the box that I have checked in the past and it also reads +/- 10F. I get a slight pullback from the bone @6 hours but not 1/4 inch. Maybe I'm just getting low quality ribs in the store??? BBQ is almost unheard of up here and Brats are king.

Thank you for the responses everyone.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »
Hey Kevin, normally I get mine at Sam's Club but the last batch of ribs was at Restaurant Depot. I buy the spares and cut them to St. Louis style. And save the pieces I cut off when I get enough I smoke them to add to baked beans. If you have a Restaurant Depot can tell you how to get daily passes to shop there. But, if you have a Sam's Club they have really good grade of meat. Sounds like you are getting the correct temp. in the #2. I really would recommending just putting the ribs in the smoker and leaving them for 4.5 hrs.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SpottedCow

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
So I did a batch of St. Louis yesterday and pulled at 6 1/2 hours using the no peak and a water pan. They were pretty good but I honestly though they could have gone another hour. Sauced them at 6 hours. I'm going to get a Sams membership and pick up some racks there. What size packages do they sell them in?

We should have a Costco in the next year too so that will be an option.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
Welcome Kevin!  If ribs are taking 7-9 hours to be fall-off-the-bone done, and your temp is correct in the smoker, it could simply be your ribs.  Depending on the size and source of the ribs, they'll take more or less time.  I usually do 3 racks of baby backs from Sam's in under 6 hours, and they pull clean from the bone.  Odd yours take that long, but if it works for you, that's great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SpottedCow

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
Hey Tony,

I'm pretty happy with the results Ive been getting even with longer cook times. I feel Ive got a winner pulled pork recipe and my ribs are great but could use a little tweaking yet. Now to try and master the ever difficult brisket. Im going to order some post oak from Fruita and embark on a somewhat expensive mission here over the next month as Ive got four packers on hold from the butcher. He doesn't get much pork oddly enough so Im going to go to Sams at some point as advised and try some of their cuts.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Have you tried brining a pork butt yet, Kevin?   ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SpottedCow

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »
I haven't. Just a good rub and enough time to make sure the fat renders seems to do it for this guy. I may have to try it at some point.

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
I haven't. Just a good rub and enough time to make sure the fat renders seems to do it for this guy. I may have to try it at some point.

Please do, I think you'll like it.  It takes pulled pork to the next level!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Tyarra

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 11:44:18 PM »

Please do, I think you'll like it.  It takes pulled pork to the next level!

We kinda felt the same way - we came from a stick burner, to the SI, so we started off by changing as little as possible, to get a feel for what our new best friend was capable of, so our first pulled pork was done without brining (of course there were other complications, but that's beside the point) - it came out good, but when we cooked our next pork roast (we did two at a time that time) we tried the brine, and it came out incredible.  So, we have brined all our pork roasts since.  I've also brined the chickens I've done.  No brine for the ribs or salmon, but I did brine the catfish I did.

Brining is a GoodThing[tm]!
Leah from North Texas
--
"I didn't move to Texas to become a vegetarian!"
    - tee-shirt

SpottedCow

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:01 PM »
The only cuts Ive brined before are brisket and whole or half chickens. Chickens turned out great using a salt and water brine. Brisket was another story....a pretty bad one but that had to do with cooking time. What are you using for a brine for pulled pork? I believe I had used Tony C's garlic and herb for the brisket