Author Topic: Garage Addition  (Read 9826 times)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Garage Addition
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:01 PM »
We are in the process of design on a house/garage addition.   Besides the basics, water, gas, outside overhang area, grilling stone area under, wide steps for loft above area.   What else should we consider if anyone has done a project like this.  i.e What nuances might I miss in the basics mentioned.   Pellet heat instead of gas for a garage?   

It will be a 24 x 24 footprint with loft, can’t be over 18 foot tall.

Two single garage door out front,  cars will not be in it (that’s for the other garage).   It’s basically an add on side work/storage area.   LOTS of SHELVES for my inventory.

If anyone has ventured into this feel free to contact me off line/pictures of what was done.   

Planning on a covered walk between existing garage and new one.   

My wife loves pinterest, (did I even spell that correct?) many ideas and designs to look from, but shooting to keep the form of our existing house. (and an extra smoker/grill or three)

1st quote will be in next week. 

Thanks

jcboxlot@ptd.net
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Garage Addition
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:05:24 PM »
In case you don't have these items in other parts of your home, I love having an extra large laundry sink for washing man toys versus using the kitchen sink.  On my third car garage, I just recently busted out the back wall and added another roll up garage door so that I can have my saw and shop tools at the back end of the garage.  When doing the addition, add outlets all over the ceiling for plug in shop lights.  I went with some of the new LED shop lights and my garage is brighter than the sun.   8)  And last but not least, set it up with some great speakers and a good stereo. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RG

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »
SuperDave, that all sounds like good info for jcboxlot for sure! I wish I had a garage like that, all I have is the attached garage to the house and a little shed in the back to hold the yard tools and pool junk, 8x10, no room to wiggle in there with the riding mower :(

I look forward to following this thread to see how it progresses, especially the adding of a smoker/grill or 3 :)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:27 AM »
This was my garage door project.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:04:55 AM by SuperDave »

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
This was my garage door project.

Looks like a nice addition to your house. I really like the mountain background!

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
Quite the view.  A church on one side and the Mts on the other.  Which way is heaven?

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Round 1

Township considers add on garage as a “building structure” not an accessory structure.

30 foot setback instead of 10 foot if it was a “shed”

Puts a kinks in my plans.   Oh well still might go ahead.   New garage will be 8 foot off of existing one.   Our room to play with considering the plot

Quote I think is steep, $150 sq foot (they don't say that but I passed 1st grade math).   Top to bottom done, with extras.    It’s not a shed or steel building so I knew it would be not cheap.

Attached it a pic of the type of work they do, not our house but same builder which can match to house you already have.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 07:15:43 PM »
I beat my head bloody trying to get what I want done with City approval.  The set back thing is a real killer to an otherwise great plan.  LOL!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:26:10 PM by SuperDave »

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
Hey John looks like they copied the front of the existing garage the same. Looks like it was part of the original plan. But, like you said maybe a little pricy. Go for a second opinion. As for city hall, they ____...
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:46 PM »
I've been pricing 24' X 36' pole barns with 14' RV doors on both ends and ending up around $20k. 

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 07:21:59 PM »
For those that live in climate...........

Gas line run to garage for a wall heater or go with electric pellet heater?

For those with outside kitchens, what do you do about water but not sewer plumbing?   

I'd like water to new building, but it has to be run under two decks off the kitchen which is a bit of a pain.   Should I bother with water if its not sewer hooked?  Just a spout for a hose line.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:21 PM »
Plans coming along, can you tell which side I had influence on?

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
Looks good.  Could you add a door on the backside of the garage so that you can roll your smoker onto the patio when needed? 

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
There will be 2 regular doors, one off old garage and one on new.  Its pictured, but might be hard to see.

I'll probably keep the SI where I have it now, screen enclosed and closer to kitchen. 

Besides getting a 2nd SI, this area will be for wood and charcoal and not "so" enclosed.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
Gas line run to garage for a wall heater or go with electric pellet heater?

I would leave this up to your insurance agent. I would like a pellet stove but I am unwilling to give up my super cheap rates.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud