Author Topic: Rancid smoke?  (Read 12702 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Rancid smoke?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
Thanks for all your help everyone, I have one more question. After the cook is done, should I be left with charcoal or ashes? I will let you know how this comes out. :o

I generally have ashes, but sometimes charcoal.  I guess it depends on the particular chunk of wood, and the temp it's smoked at.  Not sure, though.  As long I get good smoke, I don't care, really.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Grampy

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 02:49:20 PM »
Jimbo, I put a piece of foil in the bottom of my fire box and always have pieces of charcoal left.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Jimbo

• Jim
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »
I want to thank everyone for all the help, I think we have found out that I needed damper wood and maybe less heat on the wood. The ribs were excellent! I used the new wood, and put it out near the end of the element as suggested.  I highly recommend Smokalicious as a wood source also. Gourmet wood for sure and great CS ;D!
Klose Backyard Chef, Smokin-It #3, James Jerky drier

Grampy

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
Jimbo, glad you got it figured out. Now you are ready to see what great bbq your SI can put out.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

drains

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
Since I lined the bottom of my smoke box with aluminum foil I don't get ashes anymore ever. I used to get charcoal on one end toward the front and ashes in the back. Now it's just charred wood all the way across. No combustion anymore. Lots better smoke. Lasts longer too. Also I can use either chips or chunks and I didn't have to buy a chip screen for 35 dollars plus shipping. The wood I'm using is from academy and it works fine.
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Hey Dale I never have gotten ash in the #1, and on the #3 I got some ash towards the back of the box. The #3 had a larger element than the #1 and 3 times more the heating element.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:33 PM »
Glad to hear the Smokinlicious wood was a hit, Jimbo!  Funny, how something as simple as wood, can make such a difference!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
I want to thank everyone for all the help, I think we have found out that I needed damper wood and maybe less heat on the wood. The ribs were excellent! I used the new wood, and put it out near the end of the element as suggested.  I highly recommend Smokalicious as a wood source also. Gourmet wood for sure and great CS ;D!

Congrats, now on to the next smoke!

Greg