Author Topic: 1st Pork Butt in the Little Guy  (Read 4664 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
1st Pork Butt in the Little Guy
« on: July 18, 2015, 12:27:31 AM »
Going to try the pork butt, pictures will come later. For the smoke will use 2.5 ounces of Oak and 3.0 ounces of cherry wood chunks. For the prep I went a little out of the norm. Used Super Dave's injection recipe, then a smear with mustard, followed by 2 rubs. First was John Henry's Wild Cherry Chipotle rub, second was McCormick's Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning (Sam's Club had it on sale last evening for $6.98). Will smoke on 235 to IT of 160 wrap in foil and continue to IT of 195. Will take out and put in cooler to rest for 2 hours. This will be for pulled pork. Just trying something out of the norm... I will start the smoke at 6:00am hoping will be done around 4:00pm. This is a 7lb pork butt, it had very little fat cap, was well trimmed and had a good color to it. So did not have to trim any fat what so ever. Was purchased at Sam's club. Also want to price them at restaurant depot. I will also post beginning and ending pictures later when finished.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:24:29 AM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

Re: 1st Pork Butt in the Little Guy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »
Just checked the maverick and the IT is 155 degrees. Also the smoker was running a little warm so cut the temp. back to around 235 or at least that is where I hope it is. Still planning on wrapping in double foil at 160 degrees. That way can get some au jus from the butt. At 11:15 am IT was at 160, removed from smoker, had good bark. I double wrapped it in foil and back in the smoker. Was hoping would be finished by 3:00 pm to put in cooler. So can have for dinner after church. Now is a waiting game as don't think it has hit the stall yet...  :-\
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:25:02 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

elkins20

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
Had some problems, the maverick said the IT was 195. Checked it with the Thermoworks RT301WA-N and it said the butt IT was 180. Turned the little guy down to 200 and went to church. On returning found the little guy was off. Set the temp up to 225 and it came on. That is not good. The IT of the butt was 170. Raised the temp back up to 240, went to Aldi's for chips and buns. On returning waiting to IT of 195. Will still let it rest for 1 hour after getting good IT.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »
Bill, if you returned and saw the light off, it meant it was at 200.  Since you had it higher, it probably didn't have to cycle on and off much to maintain 200.  It wasn't really "off," it was just between heat cycles.  The light is only on when the element is getting power.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:43:36 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:20:21 AM »
Tony your right, forgot about that. But, the finished product was really good. I shared some with my neighbors and they really enjoyed it. This was a really good pork butt, very little fat at all. I have enough left over for 3 more meals. I have pictures to post. Also when I pulled the bone out was clean as it could be. It also had a good smoke ring on it. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:23:20 AM by elkins20 »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »
That looks great Bill.  I love how it shines with moisture. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 01:36:55 PM »
Hey Dave, I wrapped it in foil at the 160 IT and was able to capture 13 oz of au jus. Your pork injection was very good. Thanks for the recipe and will use the cider vinegar again. I also think from the color and very little fat cap I found a compart duroc pork butt at Sams club.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 02:45:50 PM »
Looks great, Bill!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 04:28:38 PM »
Great job, Bill!    The finished product looks nice and moist.  Well done!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:34:06 PM »
Great job, Bill!    The finished product looks nice and moist.  Well done!
Was very moist, after pictures I added back the au gus I had saved. Put 3 packages in the freezer and left one out for super tonight.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
Perfect!  Nothing like pulling out some pulled pork from the freezer when the mood hits!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2