Author Topic: Saving Baby Back Ribs - Question  (Read 4432 times)

CUTiger80

Saving Baby Back Ribs - Question
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:43:50 AM »
We are planning to go camping next week for a few days of R&R and I want to take some baby backs to have for dinner one night.  I am planning to smoke them at home in the #2 on Saturday before leaving town on Sunday.  (I'm really not sure how I can possibly do this and not eat them when they come out of the smoker.)
I am planning to cut the ribs into 2-3 rib sections and vacuum seal them and refrigerate (or freeze) them for eating later in the week.
My question is this:  Should I cook the ribs fully in the smoker or leave them slightly under-cooked and finish them in the oven once we set the camper up and are ready to eat them?
Ravel
BSEE 1980 Clemson University
“Don't let your happiness depend on something that you may lose.” C.S. Lewis

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving Baby Back Ribs - Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:55:22 AM »
I often do several racks of ribs at a time and vacuum seal/freeze the extras.   They are fully smoked before freezing.   When I am in the mood for some ribs from the freezer, I thaw them out and warm them in the oven.    The other option is a crock pot for extended warming (and some apple juice), but that might not work in the camping scenario.  Anyway, I would recommend fully smoked first, then warmed in the oven later.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

CUTiger80

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for the quick response.
This is not "real camping" (a 30' travel trailer), but it is something we love to do as a family, even though our kids are 26 & 23.
I think that we do have a crock pot stored away somewhere in there.  I may give that a try since it would seem to not dry them out as bad.  Any suggestions on how long before they start to cook more?  I'm guessing and hour or two on low with some apple juice in the bottom (as you have suggested) would be great.
Ravel

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:59 AM »
The crock pot method works well, and especially with the apple juice in the bottom for moisture.   I would keep them on low for at least 3 hours, but you may need more time depending on warm you want them.   The ribs need to be completely thawed out before you put them in the crock pot, or that thawing will add more time!    I did a big crock pot of pulled pork a few weeks ago, with apple juice, for a birthday party.   I think the pork was fully warmed around 3 hours in (on low).
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:20:26 AM »
Pull ribs from freezer the day before and place in the refrigerator. When ready to heat up, put oven at 300 degrees and place ribs in a pan with a bit of water in the bottom (don't cover the ribs). Then cover with a piece of tented foil that you have poked a few holes in and place in the oven.

I would leave them for 40-60 minutes, until they are hot to the touch, add a bit of sauce and enjoy.

Greg

Limey

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »
I just put the foil wrapped, vacuum packed ribs in a pot of simmering not boiling water for about 30-45 minutes. This method retains all the moisture and is relatively quick to do.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
I just put the foil wrapped, vacuum packed ribs in a pot of simmering not boiling water for about 30-45 minutes. This method retains all the moisture and is relatively quick to do.

Roger,

I have never done this, but vacuum seal all my meat, so this is a great idea.

Thanks Greg

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
All of these methods are great, Ravel.  The goal is to heat them, and retain moisture.  They just need to be hot enough to re-liquify the grease (i.e., liquid flavor), not to "re-cook" them!  Just DON'T nuke them! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 08:08:55 AM »
+1, the nuke method is a real no-no!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

CUTiger80

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:37:12 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I have re-heated meat that I have vacuum sealed by putting in hot water and this works really well, although 2 racks of ribs will either take a very large pot or a very long time.
I think I will try either the oven or crockpot method.
And, I NEVER nuke "que" of any kind.
Ravel

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
Good plan, Ravel.   I have only used the boiling water method for pulled pork that was vacuum sealed, and this works great.  Just pull from the freezer and drop into boiling water (I shut the water off after it reaches boiling).   But I don't think this would work as well for ribs given the bones.   The oven or crockpot should work fine.    Enjoy the trip!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2