Author Topic: Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's  (Read 13964 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Smoking Thick Cut Pork Chops - Do's and Dont's
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Looks like lots opinions on the finished temp on the chops.

Last piece of advice, reverse sear on the grill.

Greg

KY Smoke

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
May pull them right past 135f and then try and somehow reverse sear them (if I can keep the stuffing in them) for 5 minutes or so as Greg suggested. They should be around 145f when searing's complete.  Sounds like a plan.  Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:32:16 PM by KY Smoke »

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
This will become one of your go to meals for small dinner parties.  Sometimes it is difficult to think of something to smoke for just you and another couple or 2 and this fits the bill perfectly. 

A few more pics.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:33:18 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Carp210

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
Dave,
Did you smoke those in the foil pan or on the grate?
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
Dave,
Did you smoke those in the foil pan or on the grate?
On the grate.  These are pretty sturdy and I think they could take a reverse sear.

Ohio1956

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
Those look really good, on my to smoke list
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

bigbassnutt

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »
Those look really good Dave, I have been looking for something new to try. I might have missed it but do you smoke at 225?
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Those look really good Dave, I have been looking for something new to try. I might have missed it but do you smoke at 225?
Mike, that's as good a temp as any.  It is a short smoke to get a pork chop to 140 so 225 to 235 isn't going to make much of a difference.  We are breaking down tissue, just getting it warm.

Durangosmoker

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
I just smoked some regular thickness pork chops last week.  Brined for 5 hours, rubbed with Spice Hunter's Cowboy BBQ rub, then into the smoker at 225 with 1.75 oz of alder.  Only took about 45 minutes till the maverick told me they had reached an IT of 150.  let them rest in the cooler, foiled and wrapped in a towel, for about 45 minutes before serving.  Delicious.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 05:42:11 PM »
I'm dying to find out what happened to someone's attempt at the stuffed. 

KY Smoke

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
Hey Dave....just smoked the thick cut, stuffed chops today for my wife's bosses birthday luncheon.  Instead of using your stovetop/sausage stuffing, I changed things up a bit.  I decided to make your stuffed mushroom recipe as well, and just doubled the stuffing portion and used this stuffing in the filleted chops too.  Added Panko Bread Crumbs to help stiffen it up a little more and was perfect.

If you remember, I brined the filleted chops about a week ago and then froze six of the chops.  Took them out of the freezer on Wednesday night and moved them to the Fridge.  So this morning at 9am, I took the chops and rinsed them good again.  Then stuffed the six chops with the mushroom, cream cheese, parm and sausage stuffing.  Tied them all with butchers twine to keep them together through the smoking and braizing process.

I also changed the dwell time in the smoker to roughly an hour at 235F, to keep them from getting too much of an overpowering smoke flavor.  Took the IT temp in the stuffing center to 110F and then moved them to the Weber Genesis to braize and finish up.  Took them off at an IT of 150F and moved to an insulated pan to transport.  A quick note on the mushrooms, I smoked them for 15 minutes and moved them to the oven for 15 minutes to finish.

All I can say is that the stuffed chops and mushrooms were a huge success!  All of my wife's co-workers and her boss were extremely impressed.  Will definitely have to keep this recipe for the "go to dinner", when we need something good and quick.  I know now that you can keep brined chops in the freezer for those unexpected occassions, and they will be just as good as if you just brined them.

Some pics of the process......unfortunately I was so rushed to get everything loaded up and get the food to my wife's office, I neglected to take completed pics of the stuffed chops and mushrooms.  I know...unbelievable!  :-\   But they were a hit and that's really all that matters at this point!  ;)

Thanks again Dave for all of the pointers!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:47:07 PM by KY Smoke »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Nice job, Jeff!!  Cool to be the "office hero," now and then!  Keep them begging for more. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KY Smoke

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 09:52:23 PM »
Thanks Tony!  Trust me, they already are!  I think they are going to keep my #3 running on any Thursday night and Friday that I have time!  8)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »
Oh yeah, Jeff!!  Keep 'em drooling!  I brought ribs last Tuesday, and they're begging for more! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Booray

• Greg
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
Ok boys, I'm trying these stuffed pork chops. I'll keep you updated
Greg from Ohio