Author Topic: Pork Butt wrap and rest question  (Read 2250 times)

teleskier

Pork Butt wrap and rest question
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
I have a butt in the #2 at the moment with 12 degrees to go but dinner guests will not be here until 5:30. I normally wrap and rest for a couple of hours but have a feeling it will be done resting long before the guests arrive.  How long can I leave it wrapped without any damage to the butt?
SI#2, Maverick dual wireless probes.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Butt wrap and rest question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
You can wrap and rest for more than 2 hours with no problem.  Given your time, it looks like you might have it resting for 4 hours or so, and that will work.  IT will still be nice a warm when you are ready to pull it.  Just double wrap and put in a cooler with some heavy towels around it.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

teleskier

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
I thought so but didn't want to dry it out. Thanks.
Waterfowl guide and married to the best hunting partner a guy could ask for and I don't mean my dog...

Mike from California

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
I agree with Steve, you can keep it hot in a cooler for the needed time. Twice now my pork butt has finished 6+ early, so I just wrap, drop temp to 140 degrees and then pull when its dinner time.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
I was on the fence on whether to try and stretch my early done beef clod today in the cooler or just leave it wrapped in the smoker at 145.  I've decided on the leaving it in the smoker route so I'll get my chance to report back how well that technique worked for me. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

teleskier

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
I left it wrapped in a cooler for 4 hours and it was fine.  I will say that the Byrons Butt Rub I used this time was way too salty for our taste.  Have to find another one to try.

Mike from California