Author Topic: First Boston Butt  (Read 7288 times)

TexasSMK

First Boston Butt
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »
In the brine:
6.45lbs Boston Butt
3/4 cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Brown sugar
Tbs or two black pepper
1 Gal of water
Mix of Cherry and Hickory about 5oz. 
From what I read in this forum I plan to set the Auber at 235 and am planning about 12 hours for the smoke and two hours to wrap and let stand.  Putting it on around 3am for a 5pm chow time. 
I have read some rub the butt in mustard then apply rub--is that everyday yellow "Frenches" mustard.  Really looking forward to this--feeding six.  As always thanks for the great info in this forum
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: First Boston Butt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »
In the brine:
6.45lbs Boston Butt
3/4 cup Kosher Salt
1 Cup Brown sugar
Tbs or two black pepper
1 Gal of water
Mix of Cherry and Hickory about 5oz. 
From what I read in this forum I plan to set the Auber at 235 and am planning about 12 hours for the smoke and two hours to wrap and let stand.  Putting it on around 3am for a 5pm chow time. 
I have read some rub the butt in mustard then apply rub--is that everyday yellow "Frenches" mustard.  Really looking forward to this--feeding six.  As always thanks for the great info in this forum

Dale,

Just go with the cheapest mustard you can buy, live it up and spend $1.00 :)

Time seems about right..
Greg

TexasSMK

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 06:49:08 PM »
Thanks Greg ;D
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
Hey Dale,

Keep us posted on your first Butt, but I think you are going to be impressed.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 10:36:42 AM »
Dale...your plan is spot on; you may not need the full 2 hours/lb, but it is always better to allow more time and not need it, then to need more time and not have it!   You can rest the butt for more than 2 hours if you finish early on the smoke.   If you have a cooler, double wrap the butt in foil and place in a cooler surrounded by a couple heavy towels.   Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 12:47:01 PM »
Dale solid plan with the auber you cant miss. I smoke my butts at 240 but 235 it good as well.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

TexasSMK

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
Hit 195 almost exactly 12 hours--looks incredible--double wrapped in foil and in the cooler now. Felt extremely moist as I wrapped it in the foil. Forgot the mustard with the rub--dang, now I have to do it again.  Thanks much for all the great advice.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
Looks great!

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
Well done!  Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TexasSMK

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:08 AM »
Near fall off the bone, and hand pulled greatness--perfect smoke plan I lifted from several of our fellow posters.  Friends loved it, I loved it, and my wife loved it.  Going to be many more of these in the future. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09:33 PM »
Nice job, Dale!  Hehe...you're not the first to forget the binder (mustard) before rubbing!  (Uh...not me, of course...I mean "some others"!!)  OK, it was me.  Did 3 racks of ribs one time, and wondered why the rub just didn't seem to be sticking!  My wife walked by and said "Don't use put mustard on first?"  Thanks, dear...  Bet you won't forget it again!

Great reason to do another one soon!! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

JSRFrench

• International Oilfield, Biker, Barbecue & Sports
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
I smoke at 225* & the next time place a pan of baked beans under the pork roasts.
The 1 that I am doing today is injected without a mustard coating.
Have done this previously & we enjoyed the results.
J. French

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
..the next time place a pan of baked beans under the pork roasts.

Make sure the pan of beans isn't bigger than the pork roast, or it will effect how it cooks.  Also, I'd recommend putting the beans above the meat.  You're going to have raw meat juice dripping into your beans, and they really won't cook hot enough to make that safe, unless you're leaving them there for the entire length of the cook.  Probably don't want to smoke beans for 12 hours, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
Been doing this forever in my gasser with no ill effects.  I don't do it in the SI because I like to stir the beans periodically and that would mean opening the door frequently.  My workaround now is to spend $3 on a fatty piece of pork to sacrifice to the beans and still do them in my gasser.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Been doing this forever in my gasser with no ill effects.  I don't do it in the SI because I like to stir the beans periodically and that would mean opening the door frequently.  My workaround now is to spend $3 on a fatty piece of pork to sacrifice to the beans and still do them in my gasser.

Looks good Dave.

Greg