Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70916 times)

smokeasaurus

Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
I have been taking my double filet wood and splitting them for my #3....most of the time less smoke is way better than more smoke..............just sayin...
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

grogorat

« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Thanks to all for the quick replies.
I went to the Smokalicious website and they recommended double filet chunks for the Smokin-It brand of smoker; is there any advantage/benefit in using single filet vs. double filet, like the overall cost of the wood?
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

smokeasaurus

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »
The single filets are way to large. The double filets are the best size. I still split mine in half though. Great wood for your Smokin-it..you will be pleased.  :)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
+1  You will definitely want the double filet, or you will need to split each piece of wood to fit in the smoke box.  I got a box of cherry/hickory mix with the double filet cut, and so far every piece has fit nicely in the smoke box.   My chunks are in the 2.5-3oz range.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

grogorat

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Thanks for the info, folks.
So much to learn about the art of smokin': The belch, wood foil boats, wood moisture content, wood placement, water trays, rubs, brines, injections, etc.

Man, it's like going back to school but way more delicious, lol.
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
I have used Hickory, Cherry, and Sugar Maple, Apple, and Mesquite for a long time.

But, I am curious about how many of you use the Oak and Ash wood that Smokinlicious offers?

What is the difference between Red and White Oak? Best uses?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »
Red Oak has a deeper heavier flavor which makes it a good choice for beef. White Oak or Live Oak is gentler and is good for all meats. I use Live Oak in my off-set only.
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2015, 08:25:30 PM »
I have used Hickory, Cherry, and Sugar Maple, Apple, and Mesquite for a long time.

But, I am curious about how many of you use the Oak and Ash wood that Smokinlicious offers?

What is the difference between Red and White Oak? Best uses?

Funny you should ask! lol.  I just happen to have a new box of white oak, red oak and ash! ;D   I've used white oak quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to clean, full-moisture white oak.  Red oak, as Scott said, is a little heavier oak flavor.  I, personally, like it a lot on beef - better than white oak, in fact!  I have yet to use the ash.  Donna, at Smokinlicious, emailed me on my thoughts on the ash.  She said it's her favorite smoke wood flavor.  I'll definitely let her know, and post my thoughts!  White oak is good on pork, beef or poultry.  It's very mild.  Red oak is well-suited for beef, but is also good on pork (totally imo).

As I've always said, though, wood smoke is a very personal preference, just like many of the spices we use in seasoning.  Many, here, don't like mesquite, but I love it.  The difference in red and white oak may be the same, for some.  The best way to know is try it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2015, 09:07:23 PM »
I used ash before on my first Smokin-It for chicken.......lighter smoke profile and we all know poultry is a smoke sponge  :o
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
PK Grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
Good to know, Scott!  I'll probably save the ash's first try for poultry. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
Good to know, Scott!  I'll probably save the ash's first try for poultry.
Also an excellent fish choice. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #116 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

I am planning on an order soon and will probably get Hickory, Cherry, and Sugar Maple as they are what I am familiar with. But, I like to try new things. So, I'll probably ask for some samples of the Oaks and Ash.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #117 on: October 15, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

I am planning on an order soon and will probably get Hickory, Cherry, and Sugar Maple as they are what I am familiar with. But, I like to try new things. So, I'll probably ask for some samples of the Oaks and Ash.

Hey Greg, I normally use a mix of oak and maple on most smokes of beef and pork butts. For ribs I normally will use just hickory about 3 or 4 oz depending on my mood. I ordered the red oak and it give a really good flavor. I like it better than the wood I purchased from SI.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #118 on: October 15, 2015, 08:05:02 PM »
The red oak is amazing, on beef, Bill!
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2015, 10:42:05 AM »
The red oak is amazing, on beef, Bill!

+1 on that Tony, also try a mix of 3 oz red oak and 2 oz of maple. Gives a very good smoke profile.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri