Author Topic: "Smokinlicious.com" wood  (Read 70243 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
"Smokinlicious.com" wood
« on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
I reached the point I needed to replenish my wood supply, so I thought I'd try something different.  I was going to order some cherry and maple from SI, but the shipping was just too high (note to self:  talk to Steve about that!).  As many know, I've had favorable experiences with Fruitawood and Maine Grilling Woods, but wanted to see what else was out there.  Smokinlicious was posted awhile back by Don (DONF) - "Has Anyone Used This Company?"  Initially, I thought the prices seemed a bit high, but have to admit that I was wrong. 

When I went to the site, Smokinlicious.com, I learned that they are a manufacturer, not just a reseller of wood.  They only harvest trees from open forest areas in western New York and northern Pennsylvania, so they aren't "farmed" trees that are subjected to pesticides.  Next, they only use the heartwood, so the chunks are 100% bark-free.  The wood selection is a little more limited than the others out there, but they certainly carry all of my favorites.

I ordered a "1 cubic foot" box, with a mix of Wild Cherry, Sugar Maple, and Northern Hickory.  I wasn't sure how much a cubic foot of chunks was, and boy, was I surprised!  It's at least 20 lbs - but I haven't weight it yet.  Needless to say, I'll get through a heckuva lot of smoking before this box runs out!  The big 12" x 12" x 12" box was $39.24, with free FedEx shipping.  More wood than Fruitawood, and reasonable, considering the quality of the wood.

Here's what really impressed me:

When I ordered, I totally missed the part about putting my 3 wood choices in the comments, or phone number section of the order screen.  When I paid with PayPal, I was suddenly complete, with no selection!  Yikes!  So, I emailed my 3 choices to the customer service email...no big deal.  This was Sunday.

What surprised me, was I got a reply from Donna, at Smokinlicious, within a 1/2 hour!  She assured me that she got my choices, and would promptly ship on Monday.  Wow.  Customer service like Steve!  I thought to myself, this might be a good relationship!

Donna and I emailed several times after this.  I told her about SI, and how active our forum is, and learned a great deal about their company.  Here's an excerpt from one of her emails:

"Honestly, we are such a busy manufacturing company that we don't visit forum sites.  I  know that sounds strange but the bulk of our wholesale customers our restaurants, resorts, and food producing commercial smokehouses so we tend to follow the culinary trades instead. I guess the points I would  make to draw the primary difference between SmokinLicious and other wood suppliers is we ARE the manufacturer.  No one else is processing our woods and we don't have any bark so temperature control is more apt to occur with our product rather than a bark-on supplier.

We don't offer every type of wood every known to be used in cooking as we admit to being a Northeast company and thus, not everything is native to our area.  We elect to reduce the choices so we have full control of the process; we don't feel secure in accepting any wood that we don't have full history on."

I was impressed with the exchange, and honesty, of Donna!  The wood arrived today, and is really nice.  I was also impressed that they take a moisture reading, at time of shipping.  The double-filet cuts are a little large, but I have to split most of what I get from the other sources, too.  I'll work on them about offering 2-3 oz. chunks for us! ;)

I look forward to trying this wood, and I'll definitely let you know what I think.  Here's one more thing:  I liked it that Donna had a tagline, at the bottom of her emails, that said "Customer Service isn'ta Department; it's an Attitude!"  So far, seems to be the case!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:38:18 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: "Smokinlicious.com" wood
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Olean NY, been there, love the area.  Cutco knife factory too!

If you ever drive to the area you will see timber/tree/logging trucks all around.

I will give them a try, though I didn't find the site as user friendly as the others we usually use.

Pricing seems $$$ but I'll take your word its not as bad as it seems.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:39:44 PM »
John, I updated the post to show the cost of the 1 cubic foot box - $39.24 with free FedEx shipping.  I got it in 4 days.  I know that part of NY, and yes, it's very beautiful!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Durangosmoker

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:18:17 AM »
Yes, Olean NY is very pretty, and I'm glad to hear of other industries there.  Thanks for the report. Interesting that they say to store it in open boxes as opposed to plastic containers.  I wonder whether they mean just in the relatively humid East Coast, or if they would give the same advice to customers in southern Arizona?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

Kaz

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the timely post.  I'm going to order the wood chunks in Cherry,Maple and Hickory.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
Tony
I assume you got the double filet?  And I guess each was bagged to keep separate in the box?
$40 w shipping seems like there is a lot of wood.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
Sounds worth the try Tony. Let's see how you like the wood. Sure looks clean.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:57:28 AM »
Hey Tony,

Sounds like a great company to get wood from. I just bought 10 lbs, but will put them on my list for my next order.

Thanks for sharing.

Greg

Kaz

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
Ordered yesterday and came home to find a 31lb box of wood on the porch. If I calculated right, I have enough wood for about 6 years.
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
Tony
I assume you got the double filet?  And I guess each was bagged to keep separate in the box?
$40 w shipping seems like there is a lot of wood.

John

Double-filet, and it was separated by 3 sections of cardboard (see picture 1).  Used some hickory today.  Very nice smoke, no foil needed, and no combustion! 
Tony from NW Arkansas

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »
Got a box delivered today.  Cherry and sugar maple.  Quick turnaround.  Plenty of wood for the cost.  If I can smoke without foil in the wood box I'll be impressed.

I didnt get out my scale, but even some of the double filets seem like pretty heavy chunks.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
I just ordered Cherry from them today.

Thanks for the info and the link.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 07:46:54 PM »
I've used the hickory, maple and cherry now.  Fantastic wood, with ZERO combustion!  I just split the chunks once.  I've noticed they seem to be about 4-6 oz per chunk, un-split.  Even if I need 6 oz, I'll still split it.  Not because it won't fit, but just because I think 2 chunks work better than one.
Tony from NW Arkansas

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »
I've used the hickory, maple and cherry now.  Fantastic wood, with ZERO combustion!  I just split the chunks once.  I've noticed they seem to be about 4-6 oz per chunk, un-split.  Even if I need 6 oz, I'll still split it.  Not because it won't fit, but just because I think 2 chunks work better than one.

Tony,

Thanks for suggesting them. I agree I like to spit up the chunks for the firebox.

Greg

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:25 PM »
Glad to recommend good companies, Greg!  Pretty sure I have my sole wood source from now on!  Very impressed!
Tony from NW Arkansas