Author Topic: First Pulled Pork in my #2  (Read 17109 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: First Pulled Pork in my #2
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 07:39:44 AM »
Sounds like you are on schedule, Greg.  For an 8 lb butt, I would allow 2 hours per lb and it will finish.  I think you will be done sometime after noon but before 2pm.  You should be fine.

I decided to slow down the smoke a bit, set the smoker to 200 degrees and will wrap when it hits 190 degrees.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
Keep an eye on this, Greg.  I have done the same with butts and then regretted that I lowered the temp.   At 169IT or so, you are in the stall that can last for hours.   The other option is to reduce the temp when you are approaching 190F and let the pork sit a while on the smoker.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 07:43:39 AM »
Keep an eye on this, Greg.  I have done the same with butts and then regretted that I lowered the temp.   At 169IT or so, you are in the stall that can last for hours.   The other option is to reduce the temp when you are approaching 190F and let the pork sit a while on the smoker.

Steve,

I am sitting at 174 degrees, I bumped the temp back up to 225 as suggested.

Heck on my old smoker 8 hours and it was time to put in the cooler :)

Once it hits the 190 mark I will foil and drop temp of smoker to 140.

Thanks Greg
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:53:13 AM by gregbooras »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
Yes, I think you are still in the stall...but one caveat:  I have always smoked boston butts, so I don't know if a shoulder changes the equation.   Your shoulder looks flatter to me than the butts that I have done.  If you are still in the stall at 10 or 11am this morning, then I would suggest bringing the temp back up.  Let us know what happens.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:54:43 AM »
Yes, I think you are still in the stall...but one caveat:  I have always smoked boston butts, so I don't know if a shoulder changes the equation.   Your shoulder looks flatter to me than the butts that I have done.  If you are still in the stall at 10 or 11am this morning, then I would suggest bringing the temp back up.  Let us know what happens.

Steve,

I decided to trust experience and bumped the temp back up to 225 degrees. Thanks for the advice, I will keep you posted.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »
225 will be perfect, and I have sometimes even started out with 235F, which finishes in under 2hrs/lb.   I think with your time allowance, 225 will work great.  Keep us posted!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »
Pork reached 190 degrees at 10:15 this morning, about 12 hours total time. I removed sprayed with water/apple juice and tripled wrapped in foil. Then set smoker to 140 degrees and put the pork back in.

I plan to pull the pork around 3:00 pm this afternoon and then place in a cooler for 2 hours before pulling.

I will let everyone know how it turned out!.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 11:27:15 AM »
If that doesn't make your mouth water, nothing will! 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jbauch357

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »
I'm really curious how after reaching 190 IT wrapping then putting back in for an additional 5hrs at 140 followed by a 2hr rest is going to treat the meat.  Cooking early and keeping warm is really a lot more convenient than trying to time things just right for supper.  Keep us posted.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
Good job, Greg ... better to be early than late!   It should rest fine in the smoker at 140...just another method of warm & hold.

Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
Good job, Greg ... better to be early than late!   It should rest fine in the smoker at 140...just another method of warm & hold.

Enjoy!

The results will be know soon :)

Worse case, there is always Pizza.
Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 01:47:51 PM »
That is going to be great! I have had pork butts in the cooler for more than 6 hours and it has come out still hot and juicy ready to be pulled. I don't even think twice about it anymore. I don't keep heat on any food once it hits temp, but that's me.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
That is going to be great! I have had pork butts in the cooler for more than 6 hours and it has come out still hot and juicy ready to be pulled. I don't even think twice about it anymore. I don't keep heat on any food once it hits temp, but that's me.

Good I am glad to hear that, I hate when things don't turn out. But at least these days I only experiment with a new recipe (or in this case first time with this smoker) on the wife and I.

Never good to have guests over for a failed meal :)

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 06:38:09 PM »
Well the results are in and the almost to full to write this :)

I started the butt last night at 10:00 pm, pulled from the smoker at 10:15 am. Wrapped in foil and reduced smoker to 140 degrees. Removed from smoker at 3:00 pm. put in cooler with towels and removed at 5:15 pm. The temp of the meat was 150 degrees, it had a nice bark and it was moist and tender.

For dinner we had pulled pork sandwiches with homemade BBQ sauce and my wife's seashell salad.

Excellent dinner, thanks for everyone's input and help with this!

Greg

Barrel99

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 07:19:43 PM »
Looking mighty good there partner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:44:36 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!