Author Topic: First Pulled Pork in my #2  (Read 17112 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
First Pulled Pork in my #2
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
I purchased an 8 lbs pork butt shoulder from Walmart today (they only had Smithfields which was a self baster). Not what I wanted, but I decided to give it a go, I also decided on just a short brine period since it already has some added. Put it in the briner this morning for 5 hours, removed rinsed, rubbed it down with mustard and my special rub.

Back in the refrigerator for a few hours and then in the smoker at 225 degrees with 3.5 oz Cherry and 2 oz. Hickory at 10:00 tonight.

My big concern is that it may be to salty, but I will know for sure tomorrow!

I will post photos as this progresses.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: First Pulled Pork in my #2
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
Did you modify your brines salt ratio?  If something is pre-brined, I usually cut my salt by about half. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
Did you modify your brines salt ratio?  If something is pre-brined, I usually cut my salt by about half.

Hey Dave,

Yes cut the salt and only left it in the brine for 5 hours.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
You will be fine then.  Good wood choices, it will gave a nice color and flavor.  If you burn out on the sandwiches, I recommend trying the pulled pork spaghetti with leftovers. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:10:29 PM »
You will be fine then.  Good wood choices, it will gave a nice color and flavor.  If you burn out on the sandwiches, I recommend trying the pulled pork spaghetti with leftovers.

Dave,

I plan to take 2 lbs of the leftover pork and make Mango Burritos, the spaghetti sounds good also.

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
We did pulled pork tacos this past weekend.  I'm going to try and squeeze sandwiches and spaghetti out of what we have left.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:48:45 PM »
Pulled pork tacos sounds great with some Verde salsa!

Greg

Limey

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the spag idea. I do the sandwiches, tacos, even use it in fritattas but had never thought about spaghetti. Great idea and tomorrow's dinner.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »
Thanks for the spag idea. I do the sandwiches, tacos, even use it in fritattas but had never thought about spaghetti. Great idea and tomorrow's dinner.
Roger, incase you need any pictorial reference.  70-30, 60-40 or 50/50 spaghetti sauce to bbq sauce.

Limey

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
Thanks Dave.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
Sounds like a great prep, Greg!  I'd have approached that butt about the same way.  Let us know how it goes (as I know you will)!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »
You guys do some yum things with the pulled pork. For some reason every time I make it nobody wants me to mix it up with anything else. Guess they like it as is.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
You guys do some yum things with the pulled pork. For some reason every time I make it nobody wants me to mix it up with anything else. Guess they like it as is.

No harm in that, Arnie!  Pretty much the same in my house, too! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »
It's 6:00 am here on the east coast and right now the pork is at about 169 degrees (8 hours into smoke).

It will be interesting to see how fast it rises at this point. My original plan was for it to be done around 2 pm and then pull and wrap and place in cooler.

If it rises to quickly at this point, I may need to pull around 190 degrees or so, foil wrap and then place back in at 140 like others have suggested.

Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »
Sounds like you are on schedule, Greg.  For an 8 lb butt, I would allow 2 hours per lb and it will finish.  I think you will be done sometime after noon but before 2pm.  You should be fine.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2