Author Topic: Why cut spare ribs down to St. Louis?  (Read 15885 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Why cut spare ribs down to St. Louis?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »
That's the part I don't quite understand, Arnie - most competition pros really don't cook very many at a time, so why not remove it?  The guys I know that cook competition do. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jbauch357

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2015, 09:11:46 PM »
A complete success! 

Being able to monitor things from work was great, not all that important for ribs since you don't have the meat probe in use, but I'll for sure do that again on the next big hunk of meat I start up before leaving for work and need to keep an eye on IT.

We ended up hitting a couple bars on the way home so they were on for 5.5hrs total, but it took over an hour to hit 235 and settle - so they weren't over cooked or dry and the meat was fall off the bone tender.

The bark was great, smoke level about perfect, and I really liked the contrast of the more done rib tips vs the moist thicker rib portions.  I was expecting to freeze half the rack, but we ended up eating the whole thing that night.

Josh - Western Washington (hell)

Barrel99

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »
Nice going Josh! They are the real deal and look great. Glad you like the tips like that too. Very different texture and great taste.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Barrel99

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
Tony, when it comes to actually presenting something to the judges for a competition,  it's a whole different ballgame. Many racks are set aside. The silver skins are removed before cooking, the seasoning might be adjusted, the plumpest ribs are taken from the center cut and the best looking ribs are examined carefully and selected from the perfect rack. After all it's a competition and they want it perfect. Appearance is as important as taste at that point. Its their reputation at stake = $$$...BIG $$$
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:33:17 AM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:43 PM »
The ribs look GREAT, Josh!  Nice job!  Here's a tip though - be careful about the whole "hit a couple of bars on the way home" thing when there's Q at stake!  You got lucky with the 5 1/2 hours, but that can turn into 8 1/2 hours real easy! LoL! ;)

And Arnie - exactly!  They're not cooking for 100 people; they're cooking for a few that count! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!