Author Topic: 1st Smoke Disaster  (Read 7465 times)

Grampy

1st Smoke Disaster
« on: April 05, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »
I just finished my first smoke with my new Smokin-it #2 and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I seasoned the new smoker per instructions and I attempted to smoke a Hormel spiral cut ham using hickory chunks. I rubbed Dijon mustard all over the ham and sprinkled it with brown sugar and placed it on the SI #2 at 225 degrees. After 2 hours I sprayed the ham with pineapple juice and wrapped it in foil and put back in the smoker for another hour. When that hour was up I unwrapped the foil from the ham and covered it again with brown sugar and sprayed it again with pineapple juice and placed it back on the smoker for another hour to glaze the ham. Total cook time 4 hours.

The results were disappointing. The outside bark and outer edges of the ham where very bitter tasting. I am assuming from too much smoke? I used 3 chunks of Western Hickory smoking wood. I do not know the weight of the chunks I used. I have used this same recipe with hams using different smokers and have never had this result. The only thing I can figure is I used too much wood to create that bitter taste. Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st Smoke Disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
Likely not too much wood, but way too much wood. You need a cheap digital scale, you would have been fine with 3 or 2.5 ounces. Some hickory tastes harsh to me personally others love it. Had you used that batch of wood before? If you are adding a small foil pan of liquid on the floor of the smoker next to the fire box you wont need to wrap anything in foil. These units hold moisture without using foil.

Also on these "double smoked" ham projects a lot of folks are doing (I don't) you run the risk of making a flavor combination that sucks. I prefer to start with fresh meat, cure it then smoke it. Keep trying the SI units are great but they are different than any other smoker.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 11:48:13 PM »
I'll double the guess it was wood overload.  I've done these and they have turned out fine with mustard/rub/ and a little wood.

Hint, get a scale for the wood (digital).   For a double ham my guess is less than 2 oz wood.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:52:28 PM »
I did a 10 lbs spiral today and used approx. 2.5 to 3 ounces of wood. It was fantastic. So, you had about double the amount of wood.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
Don't get discouraged, be encouraged. That's the fun of learning about the smoker. You have lots of resources to walk you through so do just as you are doing and ask questions and let us know what is or isn't working.

Yes, sounds like way to much wood giving that creosote taste. Yuk! Like suggested, get a scale immediately.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »
+1 on that.

I've done a lot of "prep" on wife and son before company. 

There is a learning curve.  I'll 2nd that one.

Keep notes. 
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

jbauch357

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
Also pay attention to where in the firebox you put the wood, some spots will be hotter than others and lead to heavier smoke production which will give that creosote flavor and destroy the meat.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 05:33:55 AM »
Jimmy,

I agree what others have posted, my only other comment is try not to smoke the old way. With this smoker it really retains the moisture, which means if possible don't open the door! 

Sometimes when I am smoking more than one kind of food, I might open the door once to add something or subtract, but the goal is to close the door and let the magic happen.

Hang in there, your next run will be great.

Greg

Grampy

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded. Everyone's opinion confirms my suspicion, too much wood. I will look for a digital scale and keep practicing.  :)
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Grampy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »
Any suggestions on a digital scale to look for?
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 08:33:34 AM »
Any suggestions on a digital scale to look for?

Jimmy,

I have the Primo Digital Kitchen Scale 11Lb/5Kg, Warm Red, it works great. I just mine to weigh spices, when making bread and wood!

You can pick them up on Amazon for $25.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Primo-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Chrome/dp/B0007GAWRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428323501&sr=8-1&keywords=escali

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »
I ordered an Ozeri scale that is available on amazon for about $20...

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Professional-Digital-Kitchen-Tempered/dp/B003MSZBSI/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1428327975&sr=8-12&keywords=digital+scale

I recommend getting a scale to be sure of the weight of the wood ...you will be surprised how little 2.5-3oz of wood really is!    The scale comes in handy for other cooking projects as well!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mizzoufan

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
Amazon if you have prime and/or time.  I picked one up from walmart (same deal, 11lb digital, $20ish).  You can get them anywhere for next to nothing
Steven from KCMO

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »
Don't get too cheap of one, and make sure you can see the readout when you have something large on it, like a plate. Also when you get it weigh some known item weights to verify its accuracy.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

boog1455

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
Jimmy,,,,, you're singing my song bro.  First smoke with my #3 back before Christmas was same results.  I threw in 3 racks of BB ribs and a chunk or 5 of hickory..... 3 hours later when I went to foil ribs they were solid black!!!...Not burnt but WELL seasoned. And need I say slightly bitter.  Lesson learned ....2.5 to 3.5 ounces of wood means just that.  I have also moved away from hickory and oak to fruitwood for the most part. This cooker is just so darn tight and efficient it is scary. Having smoked on webers and even cooking 40 butts at a time on commercial smoker I have NEVER seen anything like this joker...... And I'm still trying to dial it in.  Keep swinging..... We are bound to hit it long soon!!
Joe from South Georgia