Author Topic: Test run of ribs in a #3  (Read 4685 times)

TexasSmoke

Test run of ribs in a #3
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
So far I have earned my Boston Butt & Brisket badges and now I am ready to smoke my first racks of ribs.

I have some family coming in town masters weekend and I am making a trial run today.  I bought a rack of St Louis cut and a rack of baby backs for a test.  Here is the plan:

I covered them both in olive oil and rub last night and wrapped them in plastic and kept them in the fridge overnight.

I plan to smoke them both with 3.5oz of hickory in foil boats and a pan of apple juice @ 225 for 5 hours (no peeking).
At 5 hours I will test for doneness and pull the babies and add sauce to the Stl Cut and cook for another hour.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:08:04 PM by TexasSmoke »
Smokin-It 3 & Auber PID, Viking outdoor grill

Ron from League City, TX

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Test run of ribs in a #3
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 02:43:27 PM »
Plan looks perfect to me!   Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
Going full load on hickory will be smoky if you love smoky. I tend to blend my woods from mild to smoky.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

TexasSmoke

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:05:39 PM »
I checked the ribs at 5.5 hours and I am not sure they are done yet.  I was having some issues having my Auber stay constant at 225.  I think my temp probe moved and was to close to the meat for the first part of the smoke.

I tried one rib and it tasted great but was tough to separate from the bone.  I am no looking for fall of the bone but closer than they are now.

Does that mean I need to cook longer or have I gone to far? 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:45:27 PM by TexasSmoke »

Ron from League City, TX

Walt

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
Longer
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TexasSmoke

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
Well I am pretty happy with my first batch of ribs.  It ended up being 6.5 hours for the BB's and 7.5 hours for the Stl's.  I think I liked the BB's the best.  They were the meatiest ribs I have ever had.  I guess that is why it took longer than I had thought.  I had some leftovers tonight for dinner and they were awesome!

The one thing that was weird was my Auber.  During my prior smokes it was locked on to 225 +/- a single degree.  This smoke it was all over the place.  The only difference was I did not use the meat probe but everything else was the same.  Ideas?

Ron from League City, TX

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »
Ron,
I'm starting to read more occurrences of this weird Auber behavior. Ribs have been a common theme between them. Lack of mass in the smoker freaks the Auber?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Walt

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:52:08 AM »
I dont use the auber for timed smokes.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
St Louis cut ribs will usually take about an hour longer than baby backs. So, your times are right in line with when I do them. I prefer the St Louis cut, but this is a total personal preference as I know many here prefer the BBs.

Looks like a successful smoke. I can't help you on the Auber though. I am still debating whether I really need/want one or not. I turn out some pretty good food without it and not sure it is worth spending the money on when I have some other interests (Fishing, Camping, Golfing, etc) that need some disposable dollars too. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Carp210

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
Those test ribs look great.  I can't wait to see the photos of the big cook and results.  Good luck.
Consider going the fixed Auber probe route.  It takes away one variable of consistent probe placement.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »
Consider going the fixed Auber probe route.  It takes away one variable of consistent probe placement.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!