Author Topic: 1st butt questions  (Read 18398 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st butt questions
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
I like my Briner Jr. too, Eric.  Works great for 98% of what I brine!  Just can't do briskets or turkeys in it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
I like my Briner Jr. too, Eric.  Works great for 98% of what I brine!  Just can't do briskets or turkeys in it.
Does the full briner fit in the refrigerator or is one better off staying with an ice chest once you out grow a briner junior? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

aspenextreme03

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 11:08:51 PM »
Full briner would fit if you take shelves out but would be a pain honestly. It is the size of a normal sized bucket. For me when i get one the only place i can fit it without rearranging is my kegerator.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:10:29 PM by aspenextreme03 »
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

aspenextreme03

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 11:28:35 PM »
And we are officially smoking at 11:30 pm
Eric from Marietta, GA

aspenextreme03

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
8 hours in and the pork says it of 174. Seems a little fast but i guess the time it takes to get to 190 will be a while with the stall
Eric from Marietta, GA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Yes, that temp seems about right...the stall should be occurring now.  Hang in there!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

aspenextreme03

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
That is what i figured with the 7.5 lb but. I have to say it so nice setting it and then not having to worry overnight what is happening. Was raining when i set it up and covered the maverick just in case. Worked flawlessly so far.

After it gets to 190 i am having my wife turn it down to 140 since i dont get home until 5:30
Eric from Marietta, GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
Seems like you are right on track. Once you get into the 170s things really slow down even excluding the stall. Sounds like it will work out about perfect.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

aspenextreme03

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:38 AM »
And my wife just sent me and the IT hit 190.  that was just about 12 hours for a 7.5 lb butt.  She turned it down to 140 to keep it warm.  That means it will be in there for 5 hours before I get home at 140.  Is that ok or should I have her take it out in a couple of hours and double foil?  Or just wait until I get home at 5 to foil and rest?
Eric from Marietta, GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
I think you'll be OK. I have held mine for 6 hours and it has been fine. I don't know that I would hold it much longer than that though.

My guess is that she'll see a rise up to 192-195 or so and then start to fall as the temp in the box lowers.

You could have her pull, double-foil, and then place in a cooler with some towels on top around 3:30-4:30 or so. Then it would have a 3-4 hour rest. Even after a 4 hour rest, it will be plenty warm for pulling and eating.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

aspenextreme03

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
Perfect and thanks.  At least I know now how long we are looking.  For next time I will just buy a 10 lb butt so I am all good with the timing.  A good excuse to buy a bigger one.
Eric from Marietta, GA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
Yeah, I always get the biggest ones I can find. I love pulled pork leftovers. I would try to get the leftovers vacuum-packed as soon as you can while they are warm. It is so awesome to come home from a long day at work and be able to reheat a pack of pulled pork when you don't have time to smoke a fresh one. Often times, the reheated meat tastes even better.

Plus, the bigger butts cook more evenly and I think turn out better than the smaller ones. I know there have been guys here who have tried smoking even smaller ones in the 5-6 pound range and didn't have the best results.

I have had good luck with 7.5 pounders though.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:22 PM »
I agree with Gregg, I think you will be fine for a few hours at 140.   The good news is you now know you will be enjoying pulled pork at 7:30 tonight!  I would rather be where you are now than standing over the smoker at 6pm wondering why the BB has not reached 190IT.  Enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

aspenextreme03

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
So true
Eric from Marietta, GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 10:53:41 PM »
Well?  How was it when you got home, Eric?  All good??
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!