Author Topic: Loin  (Read 7844 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Loin
« on: February 22, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
I had a pork 4.7 lb loin in the freezer that just needed to be smoked. I brined it in 3/4 C pear juice, 1tsp pepper flakes, 2tsp ginger, 1/3 C soy sauce, and 6 minced cloves garlic. Brinded 24 hours, covered with Famous Dave's Rub, and into the smoker it went! Didn't let a little Colorado snow stop the works. It took about 7 hours to get up to 160 degrees, which is not uncommon at 6500 ft. Still haven't figured that one out. The roast has great flavor but was drier than I expected. Maybe I will have to always have injection in my smokes given the longer smoke times at altitude. Pictures below. Oh yeah, tried the egg too! I am letting that rest a few hours and then taste test.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Loin
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:29:11 AM »
Bob, as lean as a loin is, I think stopping between 145 - 150 produces a better end product.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »
using the smokin-it and the auber out in the snow and rain will not ruin them?  that is my biggest fear at the moment and the reason why I only have 1 smoke in mine
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
I brined it in 3/4 C pear juice, 1tsp pepper flakes, 2tsp ginger, 1/3 C soy sauce, and 6 minced cloves garlic.
The roast has great flavor but was drier than I expected

I wouldn't consider what you did as a brine, more of a marinade. Marinades add flavor not moisture.
 3/4 cup + 1/3 cup = approx 1 1/6 cups of actual liquid
For a brine to be affective it needs a high enough salt level to get the meat cells to react and enough liquid that the meat is swimming.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:57:07 PM »
I agree with only cooking to 145-150.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
My last brined loin was removed at 147 then seared for a few minutes. Made a big difference. I thought all brines had to have salt otherwise they don't get into the meat properly. Anytime I don't use the salt the marinade doesn't penetrate and only stays on the outside.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:20:21 PM »
I missed the fact you went that high on IT, I do 140 Max on Pork Loins for slicing. Cured Loins I take to 150.

Slice it thin and make a little roasted garlic mayo for sandwiches, it will seem less dry.
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
I thought all brines had to have salt otherwise they don't get into the meat properly. Anytime I don't use the salt the marinade doesn't penetrate and only stays on the outside.
My favorite brine for fish is all soy sauce, which is high in sodium.  The salt doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of granular salt. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Barrel99

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
Yes Dave you are right. Although, I think Soy sauce is really a brine. The processed soy is actually added to a salt brine. The soy being the flavoring. I don't know though how you determine the proportions of the salt in any prepared marinades, sauces, etc. to insure a proper brine solution.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I don't take pork out at 145 because I am concerned that it is not underdone. My wife would not appreciate me making her sick!  :P
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Barrel99

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
I will be the last one to tell you to ignore your feelings about internal temperature. The USDA recently changed their recommendations. Here is the link for your info.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/safe-minimum-internal-temperature-chart/ct_index
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:33:20 PM by Barrel99 »

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:55 PM »
I hadn't seen that Arnie. Thanks. I will update my "old ways".  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 08:10:29 PM »
I know you've tried my butt brine, Bob, so here's what I use on pork loins!

Pork Loin Brine
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »
145 is safe for domestic, commercial production pork. If you are cooking or eating wild hog you want to take it up to 160 due to a risk of Trichinosis.

Trichinosis is very common in the majority or bears and a large amount of wild hogs in North America.
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Brian, good point on wild game. I am sure the lower temp for regular pork will improve things.
Tony, thanks for the brine recipe. I will give it a try next time around. I am trying to figure out how to use lower salt and sugar for brining but I get the point that low/no salt is not really a brine.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN